advertisement

DIY Sony VFET kit store information page...

Darmok

pfm Member
https://diyaudiostore.com/pages/vfet-information-page?mc_cid=19de835653&mc_eid=39e7008b4e

DIY-Audio-Sony-Vfet-3-4-Front_-_16MP-horiz_480x480.jpg

DIY-Audio-Sony-Vfet-3-4-Back_r3-16MP-horiz_copy_480x480.jpg

Something arrived into my e-mail box this morning.

Hope this may be useful to some people here?

Last edited:
Exciting news... I’ll enter the lottery but wouldn’t trust myself to build it if I won one!

How much, or little power is "low power"?

The power supply puts me off. I see this as a very dressy upmarket Amp Camp Amp.

How much, or little power is "low power"?

The power supply puts me off. I see this as a very dressy upmarket Amp Camp Amp.

Sort of like Wilberforce Clayborne Humphries? :D

10W into 8R single ended class A I think
5W into 4R

Can't find a decent data sheet for the normally-on FETs used in the amp. I'm wondering what's so good about them.

The original Sony V-FET amps from the 70s were very well liked as I recall, though I’ve never heard one (I did have the range-topping matching tuner at one point). They weren’t low power at all, IIRC about 80-100 Watts or so.

This looks like a very cool project, and certainly looks good, though I don’t understand why the power is so low and I’d be a bit nervous about a DIY (or any other) project using notoriously unobtainable components. I know the classic ‘70s Sony V-FET amps are viewed as all but unrepairable if their output devices fail.

PS Here is an original with specs on TheVintageKnob.

So, a solid-state approach to a S.E.T then: vfet+current-source, not transformer-matched.

I wonder how many of those who do get to buy one, will have speakers it will be a sympathetic pairing to ...

I wonder how many of those who do get to buy one, will have speakers it will be a sympathetic pairing to ...

Looks like a good match for Lowther loudspeaker drivers rated at 6 Watts handling power although Lowther fans would prefer Valve / Vacuum Tube amplifiers I guess.

The above would be a lot cheaper to run than valve amps obviously if left powered on continuously to keep it at an operating temperature..

And just because it comes with a plug 'n' play psu doesn't mean you can't build a linear supply once it's up and running. As to the up market AmpCamp, up to a point I can see that - but I'm listening to a couple right now and I love them. 'Juicy' as the Audiophiliac would say, and no doubt not to everyone's taste but fun for some. Sooner or later I intend to find out what VFETs (or SITs) sound like. (Plus it's gorgeous - how I imagine an amp would look if designed at Zuffenhausen :))

I have the DIY Audio push pull design from a few years ago, output is 30-40 watts, sounds nice.

The original Sony V-FET amps from the 70s were very well liked as I recall, though I’ve never heard one (I did have the range-topping matching tuner at one point). They weren’t low power at all, IIRC about 80-100 Watts or so.

This looks like a very cool project, and certainly looks good, though I don’t understand why the power is so low and I’d be a bit nervous about a DIY (or any other) project using notoriously unobtainable components. I know the classic ‘70s Sony V-FET amps are viewed as all but unrepairable if their output devices fail.

PS Here is an original with specs on TheVintageKnob.
From what I read it seems like most of the boards are pre built and biased, probably for the reason you mention. I was intrigued when I first got the alert email this morning, but I'm put off by the low output and the fact that there's probably not room to build a nice PSU inside. If it has room to optionally put a transformer, caps and diode bridges inside it would be more appealing to me.

The case is sexy though...

I refurbed a TA-N5550. So sweet sounding (not review sweet sounding, REALLY sweet soundng), but thin bass so sold it on (had ESL-63s at the time). Dunno if the beefier models have more oompf. Two switchable inputs was a good feature.

the fact that there's probably not room to build a nice PSU inside. If it has room to optionally put a transformer, caps and diode bridges inside it would be more appealing to me.

The case is sexy though...

Well, you could buy a second enclosure dedicated for an epic PSU build! :)

Don't forget, the lottery kicks off at 8PM UK time today.

Be lucky bidders.

Looks like I have a 2.3% chance.

Saw a few fish names on the list. Good luck all!
You too!

The whole multiple-ticket angle is interesting. I only joined last year when I built an F5 so I doubt I've got many tickets, and I haven't donated (other than buying hundreds of dollars of DiyAudioStore items).

advertisement

Back