advertisement

'DIY' Pics 2020

Bedroom Speaker build

I exchanged a few PMs with Rockmeister regarding his Tannoy build, and in our search for some stiff but light material to use for CLD he found some foam filled tile backer board. I was waiting for the weather to improve before starting my next speaker build, but decided to build them in the bedroom when I found out this material can easily be cut with a Stanley knife. To glue it all together I used PU18 sealant. We had a roll of lino left from the kitchen floor, so I to covered them up in that, and where It was a bit short I used some faux leather at the bottom. The top is filled with acoustic foam to try to help with diffraction. I don't know what they weigh but without the drivers fitted you can easily pick one up with one hand, so they are very light.

1YzgXmZl.jpg

naMmum1l.jpg

oE2EbpQl.jpg

c0fEZEdl.jpg

jH2qegQl.jpg

oI8y0ewl.jpg

Rbm4VDFl.jpg

I like that approach to stiff& light - novel, experimental and obvious good value
How do they sound?

I'm still working on the crossover, but they sound good so far. There's none of the brightness I've had in previous designs and they measure surprisingly well off-axis for a 10" 2-way with a 30mm tweeter.

I am surprised that they can be bent so easily if they are rigid. Did you have any problems bending them ? Never come across these before though.

Yes fully my own design & build, done these active and passive with the ability to switch between quickly enough, very happy with both

The satori is simply phenomenal, not cheap, but performs very highly and good to work with, and integrates with other drivers very well

Last edited:
Active I tried filters from 2300 to 2750, using with room correction and a few tweaks to flatten the response too, the passive currently in them is 2500 iirc, done a fair few projects since then and don’t have the sims on me, but it’s close to that figure and works well @18db electrical

Russel, I don’t think your preamp is going to have much WAF sitting in the lounge! Nice job man!:)

advertisement

Back