advertisement

DIY Oak Rack

sam_cat

C'est Crounchifique!
K2naB0Rl.jpg

Bit of a hack using a pair of oak chopping boards that I got cheap and some 40mm oak square stair spindles that I cut down.
Drilled in the center of the legs, added m6 wood inserts. Drilled chopping boards all the way through, countersunk and then screwed the legs on.

All has been sanded, oiled, sanded oiled etc etc... Should be putting in place tonight/tomorrow.

Nice job, but one would hope you intend to plug the holes in the top before use ?

Ahh, the rubber feet can be swapped for spikes, and the spikes sit into the allan key holes on the bolts.

Also, I am no wood worker, and have no clue how I would go about filling the holes!

i wouldn't plug the holes - leave them as a feature which is what i did. Then when a time came i needed longer legs, they were very easy to swap out with the holes unplugged

Nice!
Are the chopping boards available for others to buy?
I was looking at some on amazon but they have suddenly become unavailable..

Nice!
Are the chopping boards available for others to buy?
I was looking at some on amazon but they have suddenly become unavailable..

It was an ebay special, seller was "clev1978"

Impressive size chopping boards!

Cannot imagine they are "cheap" in anyone's world!!

Listed at about £30 each, got slightly cheaper for a pair and had an ebay 5% off code so not too bad at all imo.

60cm x 30cm x 40mm thick

Nice job Sam:cool:, I did something similar to that with a kitchen work top which I bought online and the chap cut it into 5 pieces ideal for my supports and the same size as my HIFI racks podium
I only ever made 2 of the them , the other 3 are still in my workshop, one day I will finish them:)
it was a bit dark when first finished in Danish oil but it lightened up considerably over a few day and look almost identical to my HIFI racks shelving
. by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_2258 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

20180409_185128 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Nice job Sam:cool:, I did something similar to that with a kitchen work top which I bought online and the chap cut it into 5 pieces ideal for my supports and the same size as my HIFI racks podium
I only ever made 2 of the them , the other 3 are still in my workshop, one day I will finish them:)
it was a bit dark when first finished in Danish oil but it lightened up considerably over a few day and look almost identical to my HIFI racks shelving
. by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_2258 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

20180409_185128 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Love them.

Is it easy to fit the M6 wood inserts for the spikes?
it’s something I have thought would be useful in the past, but have never seen it done.

Where can you buy the wood inserts?

regards

Kevin

Is it easy to fit the M6 wood inserts for the spikes?
it’s something I have thought would be useful in the past, but have never seen it done.

Where can you buy the wood inserts?

regards

Kevin
Yes, it is.
Drill the right size hole then use an allen key to screw them in - the only slightly tricky part is getting them in straight - you can use a small offcut of wood with the same size hole, position it over your hole and screw in through the two - easier to show than explain, but I can't find a video that shows it....
An alternative is to drill a hole slightly bigger and use an epoxy adhesive.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-n...ilXhJLVl_MoYIrRrfaBoCoGcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=m6+x+1...937376&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_5psivfftc9_b

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Having done wood inserts, I would echo the above. Very easy!
Make sure everything is straight and true, use a pillar drill and vice to make holes and take your time.
Then, in same vice, wind the wood inserts in. Slow and steady again.

I've ordered some waney edge oak for a rack - might be a while before it gets made as I'm having a shoulder op next week but I'll post pictures when I can..

advertisement

Back