advertisement

DIY NAIM NA326

cctaylor

pfm Member
With original Naim NA326 boards being as easy to find as rocking horse droppings, I'm considering a DIY option. It should be easy enough to make up a link wire to join the connectors on the motherboard.

Can anyone suggest a suitable connector to fit the connectors on an early bolt down NAC32.

Ask on DIY classifieds.

The correct Tyco connector is hard to come by in small quantities but I'd bet somebody has a few.

Failing that a normal 2.8mm female spade terminal will do the job pretty well.

The correct Tyco connector is hard to come by in small quantities but I'd bet somebody has a few.

Do I remember Kit of RSL saying on here a little while ago he was struggling to get the correct gold plated ones...but someone? pointed him towards some silver or tin plated ones that were readily available

I didn't know who RSL was

Sorry bugbear...those of us who use and love his products bandy the name about like everyone is familiar with this great man....and he is a member / contributor on PFM still...but yes ...Kit Ryan is an American hifi enthusiast who's company Ryan Sound Labs makes some brilliant products ... mainly aimed at improving older Naim gear....and some other one off products
But it does sound like Kit has his hands full with existing products and has dropped a few of the lesser known ones

@RyanSoundLab

Hope you are keeping well Kit !!

The Tyco (formerly AMP) connectors for the 326 boards and the like are definitely still available from Mouser. It is the vertical ones used by the 526 that are now only available in a tin plated version.

If anyone wants I’m happy to set up a DIY project for these. They could incorporate things like RF filtering or passive attenuation instead of being straight through link boards.

sounds like a plan a diy project, NA729 are really hard to come by now as well would they be possible to remake? yes I know RSL or NJ offer upgraded 729 but be good to bale to test original spec but new components if that makes sense?

sounds like a plan a diy project, NA729 are really hard to come by now as well would they be possible to remake? yes I know RSL or NJ offer upgraded 729 but be good to bale to test original spec but new components if that makes sense?

Very easy. But there are loads of simple improvements that really make the circuit sing, and in fact I may have already done it. Not sure if it'll end up being a product yet though.

I genuinely think there is a market new 321 and 729 boards as most are removed or upgraded. The cost of original boards is getting silly. I personally would rather remade to original spec with new components would be like having then serviced to oem spec

I can make boards to the original 729 circuit but it'll have modern components instead the older ones, some of which are obsolete. But I wouldn't want to do that because they can be made so much better. Likewise there a few tweaks we can do to the 321 circuit that keep the Naim house sound but really improve the presentation.

I think the problem with the 72 and 32.5 board improvement strategy from a business viewpoint it the increasingly limited availability of cheap 32.5's and 72's to mod.

For it to really work presumably you'd also need to offer a Mobo and chassis to fit the improved boards to.

I won't be parting with my modded 72 anytime soon....even if I eventually finish my (DIY) replacement preamp one day!

advertisement

Back