advertisement

DIY Home Cinema / Listening Room

ntom

pfm Member
OK assume this is right section for this....

Took decision to build an extension last summer....all own work so taking a while!

Part extending kitchen and part listening room. Listening room is 365cm x 420cm with sloping ceiling 210cm on one side and 300 on the. other.

Has large window openings both sides (bifolds) one to house one to garden.

Builing regs meant had to use lightestThermalite Turbo blocks for both skins plus 60mm Celotex (rendered outside) and 150mm celotex in roof to get past energy efficiency with such large bifolds and roof window.

Shell complete...now to finish.

Any suggestions on whether should plasterboard or plaster direct to blocks.....would acoustic board help...? Note we have some road noise so looking both for best acoustics and keep external noise out. Have been fastidious fitting roof insulation for this reason.

Any help appreciated!

Plan to install seperate mains, and in wall cabling (speaker and cat5).

Any other suggestions at this stage would be great!

Thx

Nice problem to have! :)

Ok, three or four things in there to think about:

1. Celotex - although excellent insulation - is a closed-cell foam, and so provides no acoustic absorption. For this reason I suspect it's the ceiling of your new room which offers the least resistance to traffic noise, since it has the least mass by far. Definitely consider using two layers of plasterboard on this surface, and making those 'soundbloc' or similar. (notes below)

2. There's nothing to choose between plasterboard on dabs, or wet plastered as a finish, except neither will help the sound in room. Such hard /dense surfaces offer no low-frequency absorption. With block and a hard finish, you will have a very long reverb time at low frequencies and that will make the room unpleasant for music and for cinema with a lumpy/modal bass variation around the room.

Instead I strongly recommend you consider using a stud lining instead - 50-60mm studs (timber or metal, doesn't matter) spaced at least 20mm off the clockwork, with a minimum of 50mm of mineral wool of density 20-40Kg/cubic metre in between the studs (use roll or batt, but not closed-cell foam). Regular 12.5mm plasterboard lining on the room to provide a finish. 2mm Skim plaster finish is fine.

This provides a little flex, and the mass of the plasterboard with the damped cavity behind will provide really useful absorption of bass energy across the spectrum low frequencies. Rather than more words, here is a very quick simulation of your room dimensions in CARA. Look at the difference under 300Hz (don't worry above that, it becomes dominated by your furnishings - more on that below)

First - assuming wet plaster on solid walls: rev time is long, 1second or more (about the same as a tiled bathroom, typically)

lumpy.png

Then swap four walls for the build-up I suggest:

smooth.png

Note the massive difference - the bass end is very well damped with well-controlled reverb time, well within the usual recommendations (between the two green lines). Nice tight controlled and extended bass will be the subjective result - and funnily enough a perception of more bass than you'd have in the hard finished room.

Now obviously taking ~90mm off each side of the room looses you quite a lot of floor area. But given the large areas involved you only really need to do this to two or three walls to gain the help. But do include the largest, if possible (4.2 x 3m high ?). Even even just two walls will get you very close to the second result. If you can do to, preferably pick two sides in an L - that will have the most effect by having some effect on both directional modes and the tangential ones. (Note - the board ceiling to vented cavity above is already contributing a little absorption to the bass in this model - not need to think about similar treatments to this surface). Obviously you can run conduit in the void easily, too; you can get 'putty pads' for the socket backboxes that will help maintain the acoustic performance.

Finally - the detail of the execution really matters..:
  • Put the ceiling up first, running the boards right up to the clockwork, and use a soft sealant bead between the two. When using two layers of board stagger the joints (and if you do two layers on a wall, always put the finish layer with the joints vertical/visible lines later)
  • Install the stud lining and any other wall finishes/ wet plastered walls up to the ceiling. This stops air path between the cavities, helping both absorption and minimising incoming noise from outside. Seal the independant stud lining board to the other walls with a softish sealant to finish, too.
  • If you do install a stud lining, put a parge coat on the wall. This is a thin render coat (DIY sand:cement will do, too) and its function is to seal the surface against air movement. That's good for both thermal and acoustic reasons. Doesn't have to be pretty, just complete in coverage.
  • Plasterboards are not crested equal. For that ceiling for preference use a higher-density plasterboard (even with two layers)- standard 12.5mm gypsum board is about 9kg/sq.m, the soundbloc types are about 12kg/sq.m. It helps.
  • Picking mineral wool for acoustic purposes it's the density that matters, not the label on the roll Remember this once you work out that anything labelled 'acoustic' often attracts a premium…
  • Absorption in the midrange and up will be entirely dominated by your furniture and finishes. For clarity /reverb control) in the midrange (speech) region and into the treble, the rule of thumb that works is, ideally you need about the floor area covered in something fibrous - ie carpet on decent underlay, or at least 80% of the floor area in equivalent provision of soft finishes. Something to think about now, if you were considering a hard floor finish (timber etc).

Hope this helps / doesn't tell you how to suck too many eggs!

Nice problem but a heck of a lot of work....decided the builder quotes were way too much for us so we'd do it ourselves. Now at half way....but seems so far to go stage!!!

Wow....! Thanks for such a comprehensive response. Gonna have a think about all this and will try & post a few pics on photobucket. I'm sure am going have a few questions once I've got my head round it....!!!! Glad asked when I did.

Of course I've now had to mention the acoustic plasterbord to my buyer (ie the wife) who thinks i've gone completely mad and is insisting the kitchen gets finished first.....

Heck....only been 9 months so far so no rush....!

I always thought if I did this I would double the plasterboard on the wall, so it seemed more solid.

What effect would it have on your stud wall above Martin?

Not a major difference - similar to making the cavity deeper, it's mass on a spring really. I'll see if I can dig up some data at work.

A reasonably priced, easy to install, and very effective solution is to install "resilient channels" between the studs and wall boards. These are used in sound studios, but they work great in homes.

We installed resilient channels on one wall between an upright piano on one side and a bedroom on the other. Amazingly little sound gets through to the bedroom. In contrast, we have a double wall between the listening room and a bathroom, and a lot more sound gets through than through the resilient channels.

Yes those can work very well when the problem is isolation between rooms, an easy 3-5dB gain. However I don't like speccing them commercially for two reasons:

1) It's not a good detail from a construction point of view, being very site/quality dependant. The screws used have to be exactly the right length and not over-driven - else they bridge the small gap behind the resi bar to the stud and destroy the performance gain. It only takes a couple. But use screws a smidge too short and the board falls off...

2) It's a bit limiting on loadings allowed on the resulting wall - you cant just bosh up shelves where you want them afterwards, the firrings relax and the isolation is lost / or you drive screws into the studs with the same problem.

(Using staggered-stud is a more robust way of doing the same thing for either case)

Afterthought - Trancera mentioning double-boarding. If you do, you can easily use 9 or 12mm ply for the first layer; that gives you a solid pattress for fixing anything, anywhere to the wall afterwards, too. The density is about the same as soundblock, so the isolation rating isn't affected.

Martin,

That's an excellent point about not being able to hang weight on wallboard with resilient channels behind. As it happens, we're building a new music room, so we'll switch to the staggered studs + high density mineral wool. Or what about an interior block wall?

For the ceiling (above which there'll be a study), it seems like the resilient channels are a better solution. What do you think?

Thanks,
Flash

Excellent, glad I mentioned that as one of the reasons was to have a normal wall for hanging.

Another way to do it is to have a picture rail hidden on the rear so to hang anything you know that at say 1.8m there is a horizontal rail / stud if you will. Though doing both might be best for hanging LP12s/Lencos/Regas ... :D

See post 2, note d - it's a denser board, and the extra mass helps when you need isolation between rooms. It has no effect on the sound quality in the room.

See post 2, note d - it's a denser board, and the extra mass helps when you need isolation between rooms. It has no effect on the sound quality in the room.

Thanks Martin - I have a room to board out in a timber frame construction with PUR insulation (Supawall), before a ~40mm framed service void internally to attach the plasterboards. I assume it would be a good idea to fill the void with glass wool insulation or the like as dense as I can get it? I'm wondering if I can compress a 100mm thick roll into the service void space.

Yes, but you don't have to go mad. There's a wide range of density over which the absorption is useful, so a standard 50mm thickness into a 40mm gap should be nice and straightforward!

advertisement

Back