advertisement

DIY - Attaching a wall shelf across a corner.

Sid and Coke

and so the rebuild continues..
Not too sure whether i should have posted this Q in Off Topic . or DIY but here goes:

My Mana wall shelf used to live flat against an internal wall making installation fairly easy. I am in the process of moving the Hi-Fi Rack from this location to a corner location. I (we :rolleyes: ) have decided that my Hi-Fi looks far better sitting accross the corner, rather than flat against one wall or the other. This set-up is also more practical for installing/changing cables etc, and will give a little bit of space behind the Hi-Fi to 'dump' irregularly used stuff out of sight, but still to hand.
My actual set up will consist of 1x Mana sound stage, 1 x Mana 4 tier Rack, 1 x Mana wallshelf, 1 x Mana reference top. There are several ways i can go about installing this little lot.

Option # 1 (which is my intended option)
Sound stage on the floor with Amp rack on top. Reference wall shelf mounted onto the wall above the Amp rack with just enough space to place a component between the top of the amp rack and underneath the wallshelf, probably my Pre-Amp.

I am one of a seemngly dying breed who actually still like the look and build of their Mana so rather than using this thread to discuss the merits or de-merits of Mana equipment racks and better alternative options....

The only way that i can think of doing it at the moment is to Mount a couple of fairly hefty wooden battens flat against each wall, with a 45 degree angle cut into the side of each, then mount my wallshelf onto these 45 degree flats sort of like this Here ( apologies in advance for my MS Paint effort :) )

So, question: Has anybody mounted a wall shelf in a corner, across the corner and how did you go about doing it.
One of the walls is an external wall the other is an internal stud wall, both of which are plasterboard over whatever is underneath.

Just another thought. Why not panel in the corner upto the level of the wall shelf? Run the battens down to the floor and either cover with plaserboard and finish as per the rest of the room or use, say, plywood finished to whatever takes your fancy. You could then cut holes at each shelf level to hide all the cables. You may loose some starage space but would look quite neat I reckon, especially with a lurid green lava lamp sitting behind the TT!

Your drawing does'nt show any support for the front of the shelf or am i wrong. If your only fixing from the back the shelf will fail especially if you accidently lean on it. You really need some sort of bracket. If this is too ugly for you a possibilty would be to us some rods drilled into the wall at 45 deg and extend at least half way under the shelf. You could of course drill down the shelf and slide the shelf on to the rods so they are completly enclosed. This will take a steady hand and a good eye for levels. Jim.

I have concerns with the fixing don't know the mana but assume it is a shelf designed to be fixed flat to a wall .. if so the rear panel is important

I suggest you put 2 horiz struts on diagonal 45 deg with fixings at 90 deg to the wall & plonk the mana on top but test first on some battens on the floor

Thanks for the replies. Some useful comments there, I'm glad i asked for some more brain cells on this one, it has sparked a few idea's of my own.

Yes the Mana is fixed solely from the rear, this isn't a problem though , just as long as the actual fixing to the wall is sound. The last time i had the wall shelf mounted it had free space underneath it, this time it will have my other Rack directly underneath and not too far away.

Looks like its time to get the Mitre saw out. I like the idea of putting the wooden battens across the diagonal and then Boxing it in rather than leaving an empty space. I have some heavy duty tubualar shelving brackets that could be used to support this box from underneath. Rather than have an empty space directly behind the deck I would have a little shelf space to store record cleaning brushes, stylus cleaner, etc.

I'm not too sure about a Lava lamp, however a little localised lighting to illuminate the deck is an idea that i like, I will probaly look into the type of lighting i could sink into the wall either side of the deck, in fact a line of very small, discrete LED's would be enough i could hide any access holes for the wiring inside my 'box'.

There is already a double wall socket in this area for such things. I will be repositioning the cable from my dedicated Spur into this area too to power the Hi-Fi.

Suspended wooden floors (with crawl space underneath) and internal stud walls that you have access to the bottom of sometimes have their advantages....

Lots to think about

You will be having headaches in fixing to plasterboard stud wall especially if you have a lot of weight with shelf / tt
I have exact same problem a stud wall & drylined external cavity wall .. I would choose the Cavity wall & forget diagonal

If you need to corner mount Fixing to a stud is preferable so you must locate this first .. normally between 400 to 600 crs (compare stud location to size of table & you maybe knackered)
If OK consider alternative of fixing 2 diagonal battens/ struts one top one bottom & fix a ply face so you then have vertical mini wall to bolt the Mana to

The wall shelf has already been attached to one of the walls in question, the issue now is that it needs to be moved.

As long as the Internal stud wall is not damaged and is sound, then they are quite well suited TT wallshelf on. My TT sounded great and didn't suffer from any vibrational issues when it was fixed to it before as the wall stored very little energy. This is an issue where i am as i often have heavy double decker buses and lorries , etc, passing a few metres away from my house on the road outside. You just need to use your gumption as to which method you use to fix the wallshelf in place. I won't be taking any chances when i finally get around to fixing it in place.

Decided that for the moment i can't be arsed to build a suitable framework to support the Wallshelf and I can't see , or detect any suitably positioned internal studs. I had a trial fit of the Deck just on top of the rack and it bounced like a bastard, so I've been under the floor to add a few 'Pit Prop' style wooden supports under the floor to couple my suspended floor boards to the concrete foundations. Time will tell if this will be enough , it feels pretty damn solid underfoot at the moment though....

advertisement

Back