1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY 200 watt solid state monoblock power amplifier

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Teti, May 9, 2013.

1. Teti

Teti pfm Member

I will try to build high end like 200W monoblocks and this is my progress thread. Please object and advice, I shall be very grateful.

Enclosure made of thick aluminium, 3 feet for easy adjustment and stability.
    [​IMG]

Pair of single ended inputs from Neutrik panel mount and High quality Speaker binding posts (pair for bi-wiring although I don’t believe in this ********).
    [​IMG]

Airflow from bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside construction made of mirror polished aluminium.
    [​IMG]

I’ve bought almost all parts already:

300VA 230V / 2x 35V toroidal (shielded, screening) audio grade transformers from Czech company http://www.customworks.cz/ (Shame they don't have english webpage).
    I have to appraise them for their speed of processing and delivery. It has been all manufactured and delivered within few days.

Highend DIY ampolifier modules Hypa 17 from very same company http://www.customworks.cz/amplifiers/hypa170/
    [​IMG]

Aluminium enclosure:
    [​IMG]

From Czech manufacturer CustomWorks
    I have to say, this company (coming from EU) surprised me by their speed, communication and quality of manufacturing. PCB is very thick, almost unbendable, amazing soldering and parts quality. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

SOFTSTART black
    [​IMG]

Eloxed aluminium feet 60mm – They actually look much better in real.
    [​IMG]

In the end it should look something like this:
    [​IMG]I will try to build high end like 200W monoblocks and this is my progress thread. Please object and advice, I shall be very grateful.

2. Teti

Teti pfm Member

Just received some early Christmas goodies :)

Intelligent soft starts (temperature, soft start, trigger in/out, stand-by, led indications)
    with set of pins and connectors from Custom Works.cz
    [​IMG]

Banana / speaker binding posts (oh boy, they’re heavy!) from Custom Works.cz
    [​IMG]

Custom made aluminium isolation feet 6pcs (2x 3 for each monoblock)
    from Custom Works.cz.
    Such a shame, my pictures don’t give them enough satisfaction. In real they look miles better.
    [​IMG]

Alu enclosures. Sorry for shitty pictures, hope it show up how amazing they look.
    Real beauty! It’s a bit messy from unpacking, but be sure the finish is high quality.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Teti

Teti pfm Member

I have finished design of inside construction for amplifier. It should look clean and tidy. CNC milling is from QuickPanel They using their own software which you can download for free. Very simple and pretty powerful program to work with. You can check a price of you design by automatic online calculation. I love it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amplifier top plate and milled ventilation grill
    [​IMG]

Amplifier bottom plate with M3 threads for alu feet and ventilation grill

Aplifier rear plate, 3mm thick black eloxed aluminium and engraved text. I wanted to make it as profession as possible.
    [​IMG]

Internal rack vertical plates, 5 mm thick crude polished aluminum with holes for M4 screw head.
    [​IMG]

Internal rack horizontal plates, 5mm thick crude polished aluminum with holes for M4 crew head.
    [​IMG]

Top and bottom plate before shipping to Quick Panel, hope they won’t mess it up
    [​IMG]

4. Teti

Teti pfm Member

Got my delivery of panels from Quickpanel.sk
    Beutiful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. yairf

yairf pfm Member

VERY NICE !!!
    Keep on posting - looks great !
    Yair

6. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Looks very well thought out. And the case work looks brilliant. Mot much info about the amp boards on their amp boards on the site. Do you know anything about the circuit?

Stefan

7. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Looking at the build, with that size transformer and the capacitance on each channel and only two output devices there's no way those amps will do 200watts into 8 ohms, I suspect they might be able to manage 100 watts RMS into 8 ohm but no more.

The build does look excellent though, the metal work looks first class.

8. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

l hope its a translation error.

fine work and planning though

9. mcai7et2

mcai7et2 pfm Member

The amp spec on the website says 200W into 4 ohms, 110W into 8 ohms. This seems on the optimistic side of reasonable, but nothing to worry about.

10. Teti

Teti pfm Member

I think he's using some Toshiba transistors. So guess it shouldn't be problem to reach 200W into 4 ohms. I will measure output power for sure and let you know.

11. Teti

Teti pfm Member

Some metalwork done for now. Kids don't do it at home, it makes so much mess!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Teti

Teti pfm Member

Mighty beast almost finished, silver plated badges still to come.:banana:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Teti

Teti pfm Member

14. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

fantastic work Teti.

15. Teti

Teti pfm Member

Thanks man, it did take me a year to finish them and I still don't have badges polished. I will post more pictures from build soon.

16. chipman

chipman Member

Yes - brilliant project.
    I feel ashamed by my lack of progress of (little) projects that have been in the backburner for years.

17. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Very nice work, Teti!
    Are the amp modules 10,900CZK per pair?
    That seems to be about £325 - quite pricey!

18. Teti

Teti pfm Member

19. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

VERY nice work, well done.

20. Teti

Teti pfm Member

Cost no object DIY power amplifier monoblocks finished at last!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]