advertisement

Ditch the vpn

dan m

pfm Member
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/...ns-worth-it.html?referringSource=articleShare

Very surprised to see that PIA may not be as trustworthy as I thought. I have paid for it in the past and used it a lot while traveling to hop onto airport and hotel Wi-Fi’s. Didn’t renew since I wasn’t traveling during the pandemic. Glad I didn’t!

Most recently I’ve just been tethering to my iPhone when at cafes or pubs rather than using the open network where they openly disclose they do track and sell all traffic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/...ns-worth-it.html?referringSource=articleShare

Very surprised to see that PIA may not be as trustworthy as I thought. I have paid for it in the past and used it a lot while traveling to hop onto airport and hotel Wi-Fi’s. Didn’t renew since I wasn’t traveling during the pandemic. Glad I didn’t!

Most recently I’ve just been tethering to my iPhone when at cafes or pubs rather than using the open network where they openly disclose they do track and sell all traffic.

would be interesting but behind a Paywall?

Was worried about that - According to the NYT, Kape has bought up several VPN services (PIA, CyberGhost, Zenmate, & ExpressVPN). They also bought a group of VPN review sites. Kape was previously named Crossrider, that in the past developed malware.

This is not news PIA were all over youtube sponsors and many tech guys were left with egg on their face the last time round.

Cannot read the article as apparently i Have reached my limit although I cannot say I have ever logged onto newyorkl times.

What is news is they recently bought ExpressVPN for almost a billion dollars - I wonder how they are going to pay that back? One possible scenario is it is a clear move to corner a market and funnel customers to its products.

One solution for reading an article behind a paywall could be to pay for it. Because someone has written it, and we can afford the sum. We don't want to inform ourselves only though the Guardian, do we ?

One solution for reading an article behind a paywall could be to pay for it. Because someone has written it, and we can afford the sum. We don't want to inform ourselves only though the Guardian, do we ?
I am a paid subscriber to the NYT. That’s how I came to read it.

I would imagine it’s an amazing article well worth 2 quid.

I can't read the article but my Nord seems to cause a lot of problems now, a few websites don't like it and tell me to turn it off if I want access. Ebay caused me hell today because of VPN, one hour on the phone reestablishing the account due to security concerns.

Not too much more in the article but seeing as I have got a €2/month subscription in order to read it perhaps this "gift" link will work?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/...29qK-S5Fm14Jm-mckozA6BQoJYnMmI&smid=url-share

.sjb

Cool that did work thanks. No new info here though the PIA thing is well documented, it was fun to watch youtubers sponsored by them sputting excuses all over the screen.

I genuinely dont understand in the UK for most users why one is needed. I turned off Apples helpful offering on the latests OSes because it makes everything like treacle as only VPNs can do. Even the days of torrenting are pretty much defunct now with cheap online streaming. I dont see the point.

advertisement

Back