advertisement

Disgusting Kelloggs

nice one - well, currently I use myproteins whey protein - and just now I'm using the diet version as it was on offer...choc flabour :)

watch a few videos on yotube too - as they give an insight of what's what - but I've been doing my version (or variations of) for a few years now...

I will. I range from a few poached eggs in a morning to mango, ginger, soya yoghurt smoothies with chia seeds. i really recommend chia seeds btw.

My brother adds a scoop of protein powder into greek yoghurt with banana for instance and swears by it.

I only started last year so made good progress up until i pulled some tendons in my elbow last July (tennis elbow?) which took an age sort, finally clearing up a month ago. At 46, i don't heal as fast as i used to! But yeah, i've been lifting heavier but the number of reps we do means you'll never be doing silly weights. It's a good mix of cardio and strength.

Video here gives you an idea of what it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

Plus your trainer constantly yells at us in the class when we try & recover so i get shouted at all the time. :D

Easily the hardest exercise i've done but it's a great feeling when you've finished your workout.

Sorry for going off topic, i'll leave it there.

Cheers,

Rack.

Used to do a thing in the Army called the beep test where you run between two points within an ever decreasing time indicated by beeps. Used to be able to manage level 18 out of 20 in my prime but would probably have a heart attack now. Not sure if it's available outside the military but it's a great way of measuring how your stamina/endurance is improving over time.

Did a lot of at school many moons ago and a fair bit during training days with local athletics club. Truly eye popping and lung busting, best done if under 21, if over 21 then a doctor close at hand may help:D

Used to do a thing in the Army called the beep test where you run between two points within an ever decreasing time indicated by beeps. Used to be able to manage level 18 out of 20 in my prime but would probably have a heart attack now. Not sure if it's available outside the military but it's a great way of measuring how your stamina/endurance is improving over time.

I've seen football players doing beep tests in pre season training and it looks like the work of the devil!

TBH, i feel like i'm going to keel over doing cross fit at times. I'm a good 20-15 years older than the best lads in the class so they're well ahead of me but it's fun trying to keep up. My problem is recovery time during the exercises, i need a good 30 secs or more after a big effort before i can get going again.

I picked up exercise induced asthma in my 30's, the doctor put on the Blue inhaler, then the Brown one and finally some other type until i could barely go 10 minutes doing nothing without needing an inhale of one or the other.

Gradually weened myself off all of them and now just accept what i can do without any of the inhalers.

Oh well...

I only started last year so made good progress up until i pulled some tendons in my elbow last July (tennis elbow?) which took an age sort, finally clearing up a month ago. At 46, i don't heal as fast as i used to! But yeah, i've been lifting heavier but the number of reps we do means you'll never be doing silly weights. It's a good mix of cardio and strength.

Video here gives you an idea of what it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

Plus your trainer constantly yells at us in the class when we try & recover so i get shouted at all the time. :D

Easily the hardest exercise i've done but it's a great feeling when you've finished your workout.

Sorry for going off topic, i'll leave it there.

Cheers,

Rack.
Congrats from me for your efforts and progress. Without wanting to piss on the cross fit parade, the bit in bold is one of many examples of why cross fit is a mixed blessing in my experience. A friend who is a sports injury therapist says that cross fit alone could keep him in full time work. I could go on as to what I see as the issues, but I don't want to spoil your main point - effort-> progress -> feeling good.
(added bit in bold)

Congrats from me for your efforts and progress. Without wanting to piss on the cross fit parade, the bit in bold is one of many examples of why cross fit is a mixed blessing in my experience. A friend who is a sports injury therapist says that cross fit alone could keep him in full time work. I could go on as to what I see as the issues, but I don't want to spoil your main point - effort-> progress -> feeling good.

Since i was a kid i've always done sports, Football, Cycling, Tennis, Running, even a bit of Golf. I'd say the last one is the only sport (game?) i've never suffered an injury from along with cycling but that carries a greater risk now if you're road riding from drivers not seeing you due to being distracted more by mobile use.

I know CF gets a lot of criticism - i guess you have to listen to your own body and know what you're capable of. I spend time warming up the elbow i hurt now before the class starts with 5, 10 & 15 kg curls which has also helped strengthen it too. I pretty happy with the progress i've made in just over a year but know it would have been more without the injury. I know how i did it so avoid that exercise now or modify it to suit me.

Fair enough. The issues I have with Xfit is really the combination of:
pyramid "certifications" where money and brand are prioritised over welfare of customers - an example of this is the incorporation of Olympic lifts - which really need to be taught by an expert one-to-one but end up being taught by amateurs to groups of amateurs - and then Oly lifts are used in a cardio scenario which makes less than no sense.

The other aspect is the Xfit mentality seems to centre on "no pain no gain", which equates to completely misunderstanding the science around when to hit it hard vs when to recover - active rest is often when the gains are made so the philosophy of always train hard is counter-productive and leads to injury, fatigue and illness - which are all a great way of stripping off hard earned muscle tissue. Plus there doesn't seem to be a goal other than some non-descript idea of "functional preparedness" except what function is a Xfitter prepared for?

On the other hand it's challenging and seems more interesting than many of the alternatives.

I'm a massive fan of "Periodization" programming, over a year mixing linear and non-linear (conjugate) phases according to whatever the goals are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_periodization

A typical linear macro cycle might look like:
2 weeks rehab / general activity
2 weeks "stability" / core / balance
4 weeks hypertrophy
1 week active rest
4 weeks strength
1 week active rest
4 weeks strength - speed
1 week active rest
4 weeks power
1 week active rest
(then back to rehab)

A friend who is a sports injury therapist says that cross fit alone could keep him in full time work

Rugby = torn ACL, PCL and medial tendon + dislocated/frozen shoulder
Skydiving = broken ankle
Golf = torn meniscus (foot fell down rabbit hole during one of my frequent visits to the rough)
Squash = worn/torn tendon in wrist + various bouncing off walls type injuries

I'm now a fat lazy bastard but happily injury free :)

Fair enough. The issues I have with Xfit is really the combination of:
pyramid "certifications" where money and brand are prioritised over welfare of customers - an example of this is the incorporation of Olympic lifts - which really need to be taught by an expert one-to-one but end up being taught by amateurs to groups of amateurs - and then Oly lifts are used in a cardio scenario which makes less than no sense.

The other aspect is the Xfit mentality seems to centre on "no pain no gain", which equates to completely misunderstanding the science around when to hit it hard vs when to recover - active rest is often when the gains are made so the philosophy of always train hard is counter-productive and leads to injury, fatigue and illness - which are all a great way of stripping off hard earned muscle tissue. Plus there doesn't seem to be a goal other than some non-descript idea of "functional preparedness" except what function is a Xfitter prepared for?

On the other hand it's challenging and seems more interesting than many of the alternatives.

I'm a massive fan of "Periodization" programming, over a year mixing linear and non-linear (conjugate) phases according to whatever the goals are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_periodization

A typical linear macro cycle might look like:
2 weeks rehab / general activity
2 weeks "stability" / core / balance
4 weeks hypertrophy
1 week active rest
4 weeks strength
1 week active rest
4 weeks strength - speed
1 week active rest
4 weeks power
1 week active rest
(then back to rehab)

That looks very interesting and can see your point about over training. Because everyone who goes works, I guess active rest just happens when you can't make it on a particular day or days.

We do have a laugh about where life do you need be able to do a burpee! I can understand 'what's the goal' but if go down that route I'll end up doing nothing at all. I've seen a change in my body shape since I started, gaining shoulder & chest muscle along with muscle definition in my stomach (been a few years since I've seen them, so I guess part of the goal has already been reached.

Our trainer constantly monitors our lifts during the classes which is easy for him to do as the they aren't large anyway.

The gym is a true cross fit gym as the owner isn't affiliated (costly) but is ex army so goes under the combat fitness guise.

The training must be good because we spent a day at paintball in Ashbourne recently up against another team. We were still up & running till the last game & beat them easily as we reckoned they just ran out of steam by the end.

Combat fitness, does what it says on the tin - haha!

Rugby = torn ACL, PCL and medial tendon + dislocated/frozen shoulder
Skydiving = broken ankle
Golf = torn meniscus (foot fell down rabbit hole during one of my frequent visits to the rough)
Squash = worn/torn tendon in wrist + various bouncing off walls type injuries

I'm now a fat lazy bastard but happily injury free :)

If you're exercising your body, your more likely to get an injury at some point especially contact sports. Lost count of how many injuries I've had paying football though 90% are pulled muscles/Tendons etc, the worst being a complete Achilles rupture 16 years ago. It needed repairimg so I could get on with doing sports again. I get agitated when I can't do sports, doing nothing just doesn't suit me at all. As I get older, the sports I'll do will change to suit, apart from swimming where I'm only good at doing a U-Boat in full dive mode when it comes to that one. Haha!

The only thing I really miss is running, would run at least 10 miles everyday. Used to run near Harrogate and there is nothing like a long run on a freezing cold day to eliminate stress or declog the brain.

advertisement

Back