advertisement

Discontinued audio-technica models that accept current VMN series styli

Craig B

Re:trophile
Beginning with audio-technica's 2017 phono cartridge catalogue, the replacement styli guide for discontinued models indicates that any prior AT100/400 series VM cartridge produced since 1979 will accept any current VMN series stylus.

The styli A-T recommend for each discontinued model reflects the original stylus tip profile as well as whether bonded or nude, however, one could, for example, upgrade a bonded elliptical, straight pipe cantilever AT100E to nude MicroLIne® with tapered pipe, via purchase of VNM40ML, should one be so inclined.

In many cases, the net differences will be down to the top mounting plate, coil wire (standard copper vs. PCOCC), coil inductance/DC resistance/impedance and output voltage. Certainly, an AT150Sa could have a new VMN50SH on and essentially become VM750SH, but for the latter having a coil impedance of 3,200Ω vs. 2,700Ω for the former.

Also, for collectors of 78rpm records, VMN70SP will fit any AT100/400 series model, ideally with the L and R channels subsequently terminated together for true mono (i.e. negating vertical modulation noise).

Here is the list of previous AT100/400 series models, their original stylus types, and suggested current VMN replacement styli:
  • AT100E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT103 Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT120E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT120E-II Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT120E/T Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT120Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT120Eb Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT120ET Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT125LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT130E Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT130Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT140E Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT140Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT140LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT140ML MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT150ANV MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT150E Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT150Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT150MLX MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT150Sa Shibata VMN50SH
  • AT150Ti Eliptical VMN30EN
  • AT155LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT160ML MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT420E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT430E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT440LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440ML MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440ML/OCC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440MLa MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440MLB MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440MLb MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • ATP-4 Spherical VMN20EB *
  • ATP-5 Elliptical VMN20EB *
  • ATP-6 Elliptical VMN30EN *
Craig

* denotes models omitted by A-T.

Note: ATP-4, ATP-5 and ATP-6 were 'professional' series models based on the AT400 series. Installing VMN styli converts these to none professional use.

Last edited:
Do they not still make dedicated styli for the 150 range? IIRC they had fancy very stiff and low-mass cantilevers, boron, beryllium or similar.

Do they not still make dedicated styli for the 150 range? IIRC they had fancy very stiff and low-mass cantilevers, boron, beryllium or similar.
Not AFAIK, Tony.

A-T were all over the map with AT150. There were suffixes aplenty, with E, Ea (Elliptical, tapered alloy pipe), Sa (Shibata, tapered alloy pipe), MLX (MicroLine®, gold-plated boron rod), and ANV (50th Anniversary in 2012 with 0.4mm sapphire pipe(!) and 'pure titanium housing'). Post 2012, there was also Ti, retaining the titanium housing, but going back to elliptical on tapered alloy pipe cantilever.

Next year will be audio-technics's 60th anniversary, so I suspect they will do something special with as least one MM and one MC model; perhaps another über headshell too.

ve-audio-technica-at50anv-150anv-flyer-en-alt-scan.png

I've been wondering (so this seems an apt thread to pose my wonderings) what the advantage would be in buying the VM740ML over simply installing VMN40ML on my AT120Eb body. Would it be worth the additional £90 or so to simply buy the whole unit?

I've been wondering (so this seems an apt thread to pose my wonderings) what the advantage would be in buying the VM740ML over simply installing VMN40ML on my AT120Eb body. Would it be worth the additional £90 or so to simply buy the whole unit?
Technically, you'd be turning your AT120Eb into something closer to VM540ML, but lacking the stouter mounting plate/lugs of the latter (i.e. VMN40ML is common to VM540ML and VM740ML).

As to relative value, I suggest that the mere existence of the VM95 range causes the laws of diminishing returns to set in rather more quickly than were it simply a matter of moving above the specified current direct replacement stylus for VM100/400 series models.

For example, sticking with nude elliptical, with VMN30EN at £120 vs. the complete VM530EN at £160, it might simply come down to whether one feels that the superior polymer mounting lugs of new at the £40 extra outweigh the hassle (for some) of having to mount a new cartridge. On the other hand, what might cause pause for thought here is that a nude elliptical AT-VM95EN cartridge costs 15 quid less than a VMN30EN replacement stylus.

Looking at the ML options, £190 buys one a VMN40ML replacement stylus vs. £229.99 for the VM540ML cartridge with same body as VM530ML. Again, the same 40 quid difference gets one the same generator/body. Compare that with £289.99 for VM740ML with alloy mounting block (the specifications are identical to VM530ML other than for net weight). Then there exists AT-VM95ML at £149.99. Specification wise, the tip equivalent VM95 models are only really lacking somewhat in channel separation, partially down to the full VM series employing a centre shield plate between Lch and Rch coil pairs.

IOWs, if it weren't for the new VM95 range, the choices would seem to be a lot more straight forward.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I’m still no closer to a decision lol. The attraction of the stylus-only option is negating the Pfaff of installing a new cartridge, but if the newer bodies come with an acoustic improvement then I’ll make the effort lol.
From your post, I’m erring on just popping the vmn40ml onto the 120...

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I’m still no closer to a decision lol. The attraction of the stylus-only option is negating the Pfaff of installing a new cartridge, but if the newer bodies come with an acoustic improvement then I’ll make the effort lol.
From your post, I’m erring on just popping the vmn40ml onto the 120...
Excellent choice, sir!

On AT120Eb body, you will end up with the exact same thing as AT440MLb, but for a red coloured stylus knob instead of the purple of original. (Oh, Matron!)

I enjoyed my old AT440ML cartridge. It really extracted every last bit of detail from the groove with nary a hint of tracing error right to end of side. The best I heard from mine was via TD125 MkII/SME 3009 Series II. I also had it on a TD166 MkII with TP11 MkIII arm before that, and it never failed to please, especially so, into a 100pF phono stage.

I have an original AT120E here myself; it recently came back to me after my dear Sister's passing, and seems to have a few miles left on the clock yet. I may eventually give this one a new VMN replacement, as my old 440ML got sold on along with a classic Rega 3/R200.

Beginning with audio-technica's 2017 phono cartridge catalogue, the replacement styli guide for discontinued models indicates that any prior AT100/400 series VM cartridge produced since 1979 will accept any current VMN series stylus.

The styli A-T recommend for each discontinued model reflects the original stylus tip profile (as well, bonded vs. nude), however, one could, for example, upgrade a bonded elliptical, straight pipe cantilever, AT100E to nude MicroLIne® with tapered pipe, via purchase of VNM40ML, should one be so inclined.

In many cases, the net differences will be down to the top mounting plate, coil wire (standard copper vs. PCOCC), coil inductance/DC resistance/impedance and output voltage. Certainly, an AT150Sa could have a new VMN50SH on and essentially become VM750SH (but for the latter having a coil impedance of 3,200Ω vs. 2,700Ω for the former).

Also, for collectors of 78rpm records, VMN70SP can be fit to any AT100/400 series model, with the L and R channels subsequently terminated together for true mono (negating vertical modulation noise).

Here is the list of previous AT100/400 series models, their original stylus types, and suggested current VMN replacement styli:
  • AT100E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT103 Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT120E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT120E-II Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT120E/T Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT120Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT120Eb Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT120ET Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT125LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT130Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT140E Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT140Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT140LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT140ML MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT150ANV MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT150E Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT150Ea Elliptical VMN30EN
  • AT150MLX MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT150Sa Shibata VMN50SH
  • AT150Ti Eliptical VMN30EN
  • AT155LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT160ML MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT420E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT430E Elliptical VMN20EB
  • AT440LC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440ML MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440ML/OCC MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440MLa MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440MLB MicroLine® VMN40ML
  • AT440MLb MicroLine® VMN40ML
Craig
Ah this is hugely helpful as was only thinking the other day if I can get a replacement for my 440mlb.
Where would you recommended purchasing from?
Thanks

You can buy direct from audio-technica here, although they appear to be currently out of stock.

I've also dealt with Mantra Audio in the past, and they appear to have VMN40ML in stock at the same £190 price. Mantra's prices are VAT inclusive and include postage, packing and insurance to UK delivery addresses.

Excellent choice, sir!
Ordered one! In fairness, the 120Eb has been sounding pretty special since I increased the VTF to 1.9 (after noticing that AT has increased their recommended VTF for the VM series.) So, now looking forward to hear any extra detail that the ML might extract.

At the start of this week instead of trading in my well used and liked Clearaudio Performer with its nude elliptical stylus, I bought an at95ml and chopped the excess plastic off, and it snapped into the body nicely.
Really enjoying the ML profile and it's benefits so far.
I am not sure if there is any difference in the bit that matter between the 95ML and N40ML? Is it just fittings or is there something to be gained (next time!) in my application?
It really is much better if you have steadyish hands to renew a great cart, shame they are money grabbing at times at clearaudio as I like a lot of their products.

Craig, as a slight side from what you were originally saying: Do you know if the ATN-XP5 DJ stylus would fit on the new VM95 series body ?

On the surface of it the body looks very much like the VM95 generator ? https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/best-for/dj/at-xp5
Even if the specs are different ?

Thanks

Simon
Hi Simon,

Yes, the syli are interchangeable between AT-XP and AT-VM series. What you essentially get when fitting ATN-XP to AT-VM body is reduced output (by -1.5mV, from 5.5mV to the 4.0mV of VM95) and only slightly different compliance, certainly not enough to change LF arm/cart resonance. Along with, comes somewhat more sensible coil inductance of 550mH vs. 1.0H of AT-XP (it's the coils that give the higher output here), so easier to match to 'normal' phono stages vs. DJ phono mixers.

Craig

Last edited:
Yes, the syli are interchangeable between AT-XP and AT-VM series. What you essentially get when fitting ATN-XP to AT-VM body is reduced output (by -1.5mV, from 5.5mV to the 4.0mV of VM95) and only slightly different compliance, certainly not enough to change LF arm/cart resonance. Along with, comes somewhat more sensible coil inductance of 550mH vs. 1.0H of AT-XP (it's the coils that give the higher output here), so easier to match to 'normal' phono stages vs. DJ phono mixers.

Thats perfect. I suspected it would work but couldn't find the info anywhere.

Thanks

I wonder how the XP5 sounds against the VM95E ? The reason i thought it would be useful is to do the odd bit of Djing. I wouldn't think that backcueing
would go down well on a 540ML Microline stylus and ali cantilever !

I wonder how the XP5 sounds against the VM95E ? The reason i thought it would be useful is to do the odd bit of Djing. I wouldn't think that backcueing
would go down well on a 540ML Microline stylus and ali cantilever !
I've no direct experience of these XP models, however, I do know those carbon fibre reinforced ABS cantilevers to be as tough as old boots. Also, having intentionally pulled the cantilevers out of old worn out AT3400 styli (A-T's first ABS cantilevered cartridge), I can report that the nylon tie wire suspension is quite taught. As long as the tip is well secured, then Bob's your DJ Uncle.

BTW, the tapered alloy pipe of the top XP7 model certainly appears to be a stout thing; even the socket/yoke that holds both the cantilever and V-magnets appears to be specific to this model. Another thing to note here is the use of a stainless suspension wire.

at-xp7_01.png

That pipe should have 'In Memory of Walter O. Stanton' printed on!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back