advertisement

Discogs - Shipping Policies - How to Create them?

Now a few months have passed how are those of you who sell on discogs getting on with these shipping policies?

I've bought but never sold on discogs, though now having finished cataloging all my stuff and wanting to trim my collection down it's time I tried. Admittedly I haven't been through all the info on the site about it - and I will of course - but in the meantime I'm interested to hear how it's going for you.

I ignored and basically stopped selling for a while. Then I gave in and set postage rates for UK. At a guess I'd say clients are paying more for their postage now as vinyl falls into broad weight brackets for me where I used to just weigh each order and get the details from Royal Mail site.

I've only had one complaint from a recent buyer who submitted an offer on a DLP then when I agreed he challenged me on the postage rate! Tight arse lol.

I'm happy enough with things as they stand though I do find it really odd that I go for a few months with no sales then I'll get a torrent for a few weeks then nowt again.

I don't buy from Discogs as a rule.

I'm still seeing quite a few UK listings marked as unavailable in the UK suggesting some people haven't gotten around to sorting out the shipping policy.

I sell a bit less, I was only able to set up selling in the U.K. with the postage set as free and the price of postage included in the selling price. That took forever and hurt my head, no idea of the process now.

I to have seen many U.K. and other countries Sellers as unavailable, indicating that they haven’t managed or bothered with the new seller policies. No surprise.

My main job is to list a pile that will be new submissions, and I am avoiding them like the plague.
Then there is the large pile of stuff to sell, but I play-grade everything, so again - I am not in the mood.

I figured it out (as above) and it's been running OK although I have had to tweak a couple of things that I didn't get quite right. In the end it's really not as complicated as it looks at first glance. Including postage in the selling price strikes me as a tortuous solution

It's making more sense to me now after having had a read of the help pages and putting in some settings. And if it stops having to answer emails about costs then great.

I've gone for by weight settings, using the Royal Mail's standard prices rounded up to the nearest quid or so, and allowing for the weight of the packaging. So £4.00 for up to 1.6kg, £6.00 for up to 3.6kg and then just an extra £6.00 for each (up to) 3.6kg as I doubt many orders will be that heavy anyway. Then done similarly for Tracked 48 for higher value stuff, with a minimum £20 order value. That should get me going I think.

I figured it out (as above) and it's been running OK although I have had to tweak a couple of things that I didn't get quite right. In the end it's really not as complicated as it looks at first glance. Including postage in the selling price strikes me as a tortuous solution

It was the only way I could figure how to do it.

I only have 300 ish records for sale, so not such a hard job, it gave me an opportunity to reduce a few prices.

Crikey. Had my first sale the the day after listing, another last week and just accepted an offer on 2 more.

Finding it all works quite well, though not sure if buyers can select tracked and signed for shipping at checkout. The first one paid the normal price then messaged to ask for it to go tracked, and for the sake of a couple of quid and good feedback I agreed.

Crikey. Had my first sale the the day after listing, another last week and just accepted an offer on 2 more.

Finding it all works quite well, though not sure if buyers can select tracked and signed for shipping at checkout. The first one paid the normal price then messaged to ask for it to go tracked, and for the sake of a couple of quid and good feedback I agreed.

That is what annoys me greatly about the new policies.

Previously I could discuss the postage requirements, check the address etc. before confirming an invoice. Some buyers have specific packaging requests. The system now makes it hard to converse pre-sale.
Also I check all records before confirming an invoice, mistakes happen, and It was a lot easier before to check the record is the correct listing and performs as described. I still play everything.

It's still early days for me but seems to be working if the buyer does their bit.

I had someone yesterday make an offer on something I hadn't ticked allow offers on, but agreed it anyway. The buyer wanted 2 items but before I could accept an offer added the 1st one to his cart and checked out, then was messaging me about not being able to set the shipping to tracked as I'd asked (£70 worth of stuff so needed to be IMO). I eventually had to cancel the first order, change the price of an item his offer price, tell him to buy both at once and send him a link to the help pages.

We got there in the end but it was a lot of admin.

It's still early days for me but seems to be working if the buyer does their bit.

I had someone yesterday make an offer on something I hadn't ticked allow offers on, but agreed it anyway. The buyer wanted 2 items but before I could accept an offer added the 1st one to his cart and checked out, then was messaging me about not being able to set the shipping to tracked as I'd asked (£70 worth of stuff so needed to be IMO). I eventually had to cancel the first order, change the price of an item his offer price, tell him to buy both at once and send him a link to the help pages.

We got there in the end but it was a lot of admin.

You will get some messages asking if you can reduce stuff to something way below the item value, or deal outside of discogs. I ignore them.
To be honest, it is infrequent.

advertisement

Back