advertisement

Disappointing ebay purchases

Not a purchase but a silly exchange over a sale. Advertised my BMW on eBay and within in an hour I got a message that said:

"You are a f****ing moron, your car is worth £5K, not even fully loaded and you think you'll get nearly double for it... what a w***er".

So I engaged him for a bit of fun and to see if he was looking for a BMW to which he replied 'No, they're shit'. I asked him why he was searching for them then as if I don't want something I don't look for it as doing so would be moronic. This resulted in more insults and him accusing me of calling him thick (which I did) and if I didn't retract the comment he was going to 'sort me out'. I blocked him.

I did however unblock him to tell him it sold for £9K :D
Someone on pfm tried to chisel me on an item I was selling. It was relentless, calling my judgement into question because there was the same thing on eBay for less etc. I looked and it was a completely different model, older and in bad shape. When I pointed this out he came back with a “I’ll do you a favour mate” counter chisel of +10% on his previous ridiculous low ball. I had already priced it below the going rate and someone bought it while he was still filling the thread and inbox with blather. I made a mental note not to ever do business with him. A few months later I saw him do the same thing with another seller.

I’ve bought over a thousand items off the bay and only one has given me grief. Plenty of quite pricey laptops one time when I sold them locally because peeps didn’t want to take the risk of the internet:)
My last purchase was a Bel Canto phono stage. Immaculate and in its original packaging with tools and manual.
Chaps, I’ve yet to be convinced it’s the spawn of the devil.

Someone on pfm tried to chisel me on an item I was selling. It was relentless, calling my judgement into question because there was the same thing on eBay for less etc. I looked and it was a completely different model, older and in bad shape. When I pointed this out he came back with a “I’ll do you a favour mate” counter chisel of +10% on his previous ridiculous low ball. I had already priced it below the going rate and someone bought it while he was still filling the thread and inbox with blather. I made a mental note not to ever do business with him. A few months later I saw him do the same thing with another seller.
I think some people just think they can bully sellers into taking a low price, happens all the time with car sales so I guess it must work with some people, but it’s not right and not nice for people less resilient to this sort of thing than some of us.

The problem is when intense air fresher smells are used to mask noxious odours, the latter eventually, subtly breaks through then the two guffs are linked permanently in your mind. I picked up a pool car one day and drove it for a week- it had been valeted and was reeking of air freshener then after a few hours a faint trace of something awful broke through and it seemed to be coming from the load space. I told a colleague who immediately recognised the car I was describing. She said the person who had it took her dog out in it and it was terribly car sick.:eek:

My father in law loves a "bargain", and acquired 2 cars for my wife. One STUNK of dogs, and one STUNK of fag smoke (hence they were cheap). Both had to be driven with pots of neutradol under the seats and on the dashboard. The combined smell was so strong it made your eyes water. He denied there was a smell, as to do so would be to admit that they weren't a bargain. See also the huge sack of out of date coffee he acquired - worst coffee I've ever tasted, yet he was adamant it was best he'd ever tasted.

Just put them on your ignore list. I've done that with a few on here and it really does cut down on 'noise'. I wouldn't associate or engage with them or their likes in the real world and I see no reason to do so in forum world.

well the seller refused to refund me, but ebay stepped in and enforced a refund. He then left me feedback calling me a p*rvert for sniffing cables. :eek:
I am speechless, does that me make one as well?, I bought XLR cables here and one sniff was enough, couldn’t use it.

Last edited:
Sometimes the initial part of the purchase is good/great but then the seller takes no care at all in the packaging of the beautiful, mint and long sort after item and when you receive said item it is in such a woeful condition as now unusable.

You now have all the extra involved hassle of reporting the issue to the incredulous seller and processing the claim etc instead of just enjoying your purchase.

As above I have just received the first one of two packages in such condition. The second package is lost in transit.
Weeks of hassle ahead!

edit. 2nd package arrived in tatters, I didn't need to check inside as the contents were visible and damaged. The courier refused to take the package away, so after I took photo's of the condition he left.

Last edited:
If you find your ideal hifi item on Ebay then just go & collect it, or possibly meet up, in order to make sure you will receive it in the condition it was sold in. If it is too far away, or you can't be bothered to make an effort, then if you buy it just assume the goods will turn up smashed to bits & if they arrive safely then that is the bonus for you. Sad but true.

I sometimes sell on Ebay, for me it is collection only, if you want it come & get it, both of us end up happy then. Last item I bought I drove 400 miles to get it, worth the drive as the item was mint, nice day out as well.

My disappointing Ebay purchase, well that was an alloy wheels set for a car, they were as rare as hens' teeth, that turned up wrapped in bin bags individually. When inspected they were not what I bought at all, plus Interparcel had the cheek to attempt to bill me for an underweight declaration when it wasn't me that arranged the delivery. The seller went quiet, Ebay went quiet, a visit to the seller a few weeks later got the matter sorted once & for all by means of " diplomatic discussion" with a held in my hand baseball bat as the referee.

The seller went quiet, Ebay went quiet, a visit to the seller a few weeks later got the matter sorted once & for all by means of " diplomatic discussion" with a held in my hand baseball bat as the referee.

That’s time for police involvement. And I’m not into that, so I rarely spend more than a tenner on eBay.

No violence was intended nor used, it was just a way to show that he wasn't ripping me off & I was prepared to come to visit him to make him realise it. When he did realise who I was he soon appreciated the fact that it was pay up or a call to the police was eventually going to happen. Ebay sellers think that you won't be arsed when it comes to the rip off, that is why Ebay should have a payment method registered that draws the money into a 3rd party holding account till all sales are sorted to the satisfaction of each party.

Or go & collect the goods as previously mentioned.

No violence was intended nor used, it was just a way to show that he wasn't ripping me off & I was prepared to come to visit him to make him realise it. When he did realise who I was he soon appreciated the fact that it was pay up or a call to the police was eventually going to happen.
But… if you were to go armed with a fake revolver, you’d still risk jail/being shot dead the same as if it were real. The threat is almost as bad as actually battering someone. I didn’t think this sort of action would be admitted to on PFM. (As much as many of us probably have certain thoughts go through our minds at times)

I didn't have a fake revolver though,the baseball bat was never shown, my actual statement should have said that. If you are happy to be ripped off by scumbags then so be it, I hasten to add this was many moons ago when I was younger, I am a nice old fart nowadays.

I’ve bought two pairs of headphones here that stunk of fag smoke. They were cheap and eventually aired out.

Worst e bayer was a loony time waster that bought a Brompton off me. Returned it at my expense with no justification whatsoever after an interminable exchange about item details.

Disappointing purchases are the many misgraded LPs I’ve bought.

advertisement

Back