advertisement

Disappearance of Menus in Restaurants

Very cold out, so I went to walk laps at the Mall of America this morning. Noticed a new Sushi place had opened up. Order from app, meal delivered to table on a conveyor belt.

80-BDDEFE-0-C80-4571-AEC9-8272088-E67-BE.jpg

No clue if the food is any good, but I suspect the novelty will wear off quickly.
Sushis are almost always prepared industrially, in such places anyway. To me it sort of fits.

Nevertheless, if I were into sushis I think I’d rather buy some at the supermarket and walk home with it. It’s cheaper and chances are they come exactly from the same factory.

If ordering and paying for (fastish) food on an app does not appeal to you then do your homework and go elsewhere, just be prepared to pay higher prices or wait longer for service ...

The traditional al la carte & waiter experience are increasingly expensive and the food prices & services charges reflect that, even various chain run restaurants that benefit some form of economy of scale with supplies will likely take a hit on staffing costs in less busy or affluent regions ...

Why do you hold this belief that others want to hear or listen to you? One of the most inconsiderate things a diner can do during busy service is to hold up waiting staff with drawn out complaints over insignficant matters or boring them to death with small talk and banter ...
FFS!

If ordering and paying for (fastish) food on an app does not appeal to you then do your homework and go elsewhere, just be prepared to pay higher prices or wait longer for service ...

The traditional al la carte & waiter experience are increasingly expensive and the food prices & services charges reflect that, even various chain run restaurants that benefit some form of economy of scale with supplies will likely take a hit on staffing costs in less busy or affluent regions ...

Why do you hold this belief that others want to hear or listen to you? One of the most inconsiderate things a diner can do during busy service is to hold up waiting staff with drawn out complaints over insignficant matters or boring them to death with small talk and banter ...

You are too harsh towards me. I just mentioned the vague possibility of talking to the waiter or other clients because I was responding to a post that said, quite rightly, that this was part of the fun of eating out.

the menu thing is a non-issue for me. Our favourite local bar and beer shop, has just rented out their kitchen - the company has an integrated online ordering system - delivery through Deliveroo, takeaway and eat-in (just give a table number).

drinks you go to the bar - pay as you go or a tab

Works very well IME -

way better than an unclean tatty menu or lots of wasteful turnover of paper.....
I just knew you would be the one that thinks it's all good! I was scrolling down looking for your comment, thinking I bet GT loves QR codes and menus on his phone.

Sounds like you should change your venues if the menus are tatty or made of thin paper.

I had thought it might be an age thing me hating this menu on phone thing, but my kids also think it's crap. Nandos, e.g, which my kids love, already had a yellow card from me for making me order my meal at the bar - a tactic of theirs going back years. Then the QR menus. I don't go back to these places once I realise they think smartphone menus are OK. I was in Pizza Hut about a year ago and we even had to order on the phone, and it kept crashing. And we couldnt find the things we wanted.

Effing hideous.

I like seeing the whole menu at once and being able to quickly compare various dishes, I'm not doing that on a phone. Thankfully nowhere I've been does the whole QR code bollocks so it's never a problem.

The parking app ball ache can do one as well, 18 different apps and you can always guarantee when you're in a rush the next car park will need another bloody app. Wouldn't be so bad if they at least had card payments on all the machines so if you need to you can just tap the card and get a ticket, cash only or another bloody app is truly hell on earth*

Oh yeah and courier apps, they can do one as well. About as much use as a Chocolate tea pot.

* might be exaggerating.

As a family in a bit of a rush a while back - and starving - we dropped into a Nandos for a cheeky one on our journey. We ended up using the QR code and App to order - and saved a bunch of time over walking up to the till trying to remember 5 orders from around the table Food arrived suitably quickly and all was good.

But for a higher grade of restaurant you might want to actually discuss the menu options properly with the waiter - half the time these days you cannot divine whether your meal comes with veg or you need to order that seperately, or even perhaps you get a plate of veg for the table (pub the other did that, but we only knew because the waiter told us!)

At even higher levels again you certainly need assistance - menus where they have pretentious bollocks like "Scallop, Celeriac, Truffle" and "Halibut, Brassicas, Oscietra" (real examples from my internet crawling tonight) on a £170 per person menu (drinks 'package' extra at up to £250 each on top). I would want a harem to hand feed me at those prices along with a MC to introduce each dish and drink as it arrived.

Can the Government please intervene and restrict the number of parking apps needed to get around down to 2 or 3?.

And ban parking app machines (with no cash option!) on a beach carpark with no mobile phone coverage - so you have to 'shelter' in the beach cafe to use their wifi to pay for the parking!

I don't mind Ring Go - but you MUST sure make the parking zone number is the right one and do not rely on your phone location to 'guess' which one.

AND another thing - my local hospital car park charges you EXTRA if use Ring Go instead of cash. WTF?

You are too harsh towards me. I just mentioned the vague possibility of talking to the waiter or other clients because I was responding to a post that said, quite rightly, that this was part of the fun of eating out.

You're right, my apologies Paul

it's even better in Japan. Unless a Michelin star fancy place, there's a plastic model (dummy) of every dish on display. You just point at it - you don't need to understand each other. What you get on your table will be 99% similar.

Unfortunately a meticulously planned trip to Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo was cancelled due to the outbreak of Covid… but I am aware of the incredibly realistic fake food which in itself is quite a work of art.

When abroad it’s good to be able to literally see what’s on the menu… even at some very good restaurants (which you will find in a Michelin guide).

As for QR codes in Blighty, they were initially introduced because of Covid and I can see the benefits especially where restaurants are short staffed (bloody Brexit obvs). The QR code thing has really caught on in the Far East (especially in China where everything is done through the phone - with its social credit scoring etc). I’m not so obstinate or belligerent (as seems to be the case with some people here) that I refuse to eat at places with QR code menus. How hard is it to just use your phone to select your food then place it back in your pocket?

Unfortunately a meticulously planned trip to Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo was cancelled due to the outbreak of Covid… but I am aware of the incredibly realistic fake food which in itself is quite a work of art.

When abroad it’s good to be able to literally see what’s on the menu… even at some very good restaurants (which you will find in a Michelin guide).

As for QR codes in Blighty, they were initially introduced because of Covid and I can see the benefits especially where restaurants are short staffed (bloody Brexit obvs). The QR code thing has really caught on in the Far East (especially in China where everything is done through the phone - with its social credit scoring etc). I’m not so obstinate or belligerent (as seems to be the case with some people here) that I refuse to eat at places with QR code menus. How hard is it to just use your phone to select your food then place it back in your pocket?
It's hard when the technology let's you down, as it has done for me more than once. Getting through ticking boxes for what your kids want, what you want and then having to start again is more than enough to wind me right up. Also I work online and am forever logging in, verifying, following app instructions etc. I don't want that shit in a restaurant.

50p.
I apologize if I misjudged you.

I haven’t seen it with my eyes, but i’d suspect the guys are genuine. Old stuff arrives, someone looks at it and decides that it’s worth this or that much. Item is displayed, customer enters and agrees to pay the price, walks home happily. Shop happy too.

He may now decide to leave a few more quid at the counter rather than squander them for a zerowin lottery ticket. Or he may not. He isn’t forced to do anything, he just gets asked. It’s a charity shop.

Would you guys each like to make a £1 donation to Shelter Scotland?
https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/donate

Here in the U.K. I use the RingGo app for parking. Quick to download and set up, and very quick and easy to use. And, every car park I’ve been to recently that isn’t a multi-storey used it. No more queueing behind someone who only has two-pound coins in their wallet. Much better than the phone ‘service’ to pay for parking.

I don't have a 'smart' phone. Well it is, but it's not connected to the internet. As with the restaurant menu, I go elsewhere, even if it's an outskirts of the town bloody shopping mall!!!

advertisement

Back