advertisement

Dirac On Bluesound

Meursault

Reading between the lines, there’s a new model coming but they’re reviewing whether they can roll this out to older models. Models would be shipped with capability and if you want to use Dirac, you can buy the license which might be $250-350+ (my probably inaccurate guess based on some other manufacturers I’ve seen) depending on whether you want the full version or the bass only one.
This would be pretty significant. Hopefully the new one will sound a bit better out of the box than the Node which has a notoriously poor power supply which has given rise to a modding cottage industry.
Clearly, none of this will be cut price.

NAD have been producing integrated and pre-amps with Dirac and built-in Bluesound nodes for some time. Possibly other manufacturers too.

I've got a NAD C3050 with Blu Os module and that includes Dirac. The module added roughly £300 to the cost of the amp, but in a difficult room it makes a lot of difference in the 80-200hz region and I get full streaming options.

A full Dirac license is £75 more. I wonder, if you own a Bluesound already, if you can just add Dirac on for another £75, but I doubt it will be that transparent or wallet friendly. You'd need a mic too.

A great upgrade if you need it though. Interested to see how much this adds on the the price.

I wonder if Dirac will work via digital out to dac and if my Node 2i will get it....
I don’t think even they know. They say they’re reviewing older kit and clearly, there’s an incentive to roll it out if they can take a commission on the Dirac license.
I’m also using a Node 2i and that would be an heck of an increase in functionality.
With Dirac in a Node, you can revisit a lot of vintage gear.
I guess this is an answer to wiim who must be eating node at the minute
Plus any commission they make. A lot of people seem to be complaining about the Wiim room correction but these might be users who can’t calibrate it properly.
The real losers in this will be MiniDSP, not Wiim.

advertisement

Back