advertisement

Diplomatic Immunity...

Diplomatic immunity should extend to not having baggage checks at airports etc, but certainly not protecting people who kill for whatever reason. This woman clearly needs arresting for a fatal hit and run. There is no way that should be covered by ‘diplomatic’ status.

For various reasons, she probably isn't or won't be.
The radio mentioned this morning that the US had waived immunity in recent years over this type of thing.
She has also done the same thing before, in the US, killed someone due to poor driving.

No because it’s bollocks.

The usual internet exaggeration again.
Ann Sacoolas was fined $97 for driving with undue care and attention over ten years ago in the US.
Her husband is an intelligence officer.
She will not be handed over.

For various reasons, she probably isn't or won't be.
The radio mentioned this morning that the US had waived immunity in recent years over this type of thing.
She has also done the same thing before, in the US, killed someone due to poor driving.
you sure it was as serious as that?

No because it’s bollocks.

The usual internet exaggeration again.
Ann Sacoolas was fined $97 for driving with undue care and attention over ten years ago in the US.
Her husband is an intelligence officer.
She will not be handed over.
Although....

"The US Department of State’s own guidelines for law enforcement officials make it clear that the US does not believe diplomatic immunity extends to foreign diplomats committing serious or repeat driving offences in the US, either under the influence of alcohol or sober."

The Foreign Office have admitted their list of accredited diplomats is only of those based in London.

Sacoolas is an intelligence officer not based in London, so not on a Foreign Office list.

He’s more or less a spy.

They’ll close ranks behind him.

Diplomatic immunity should extend to not having baggage checks at airports etc, but certainly not protecting people who kill for whatever reason. This woman clearly needs arresting for a fatal hit and run. There is no way that should be covered by ‘diplomatic’ status.
I am trying to think of an example offence where one should not be arrested...nothing yet. Eg...

Theft
Kidnapping a minor
Rape
Fraud
Murder
Parking tickets
Driving offences
Assault
Inciting hatred
Racist attacks

Diplomatic immunity is probably required by embassy staff all over the world, including UK staff abroad.
However, it should be monitored & policed for abuse of the privilege.
Serious & frequent breaches of the law should not go unpunished, regardless & status.

I am trying to think of an example offence where one should not be arrested...nothing yet. Eg...

Theft
Kidnapping a minor
Rape
Fraud
Murder
Parking tickets
Driving offences
Assault
Inciting hatred
Racist attacks

Really? Nothing?

skynews-farage-brexit-newcastle_4674347.jpg

My missus had diplomatic immunity for a while. Being waved through at airports was her fav thing, with no bag checks.

My guess is that the woman will get away with it. At the very least she should have trouble sleeping at night for the rest of her life.

My missus had diplomatic immunity for a while. Being waved through at airports was her fav thing, with no bag checks.

My guess is that the woman will get away with it. At the very least she should have trouble sleeping at night for the rest of her life.

Ahh well that's alright then. I have trouble sleeping sometimes but I haven't killed anyone.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason for her not to come to the UK to assist investigations.
Totally disgusting behaviour on her and America’s part.

I thought only her husband had diplomatic immunity under a 1994 agreement that covered the monitoring bases.

The 1994 agreement is not official immunity under the Vienna convention and is purely an agreement between the UK and US which does not cover spouses or family.

A couple of facts:

Northants Police applied for a waiver to diplomatic immunity. This was refused, according to their PCC.

The subjects spouses three year secondment as then cut short, and both have returned to the US - US Embassy.

This does stink a bit.

Apparently the FCO were present at the initial interviews and at no point told the Police she does not have diplomatic immunity (i.e her husband was not on the FCO diplomatic immunity register)

advertisement

Back