advertisement

Dinner with Doom

Ah, hip-hop promotion. I thought for a second that it was going to be a doom rock thread. I'll rant about the latest Sunn0))) lp somewhere else then.
How come dinner with a rapper is going for silly money when I can't even get a bid on an original Bill Haley ep in pic sleeve. Effing ebay...

No doom rock here, space cake.

I'm talking about MF Doom aka Metal Face Doom aka Daniel Dumile aka a Grade-A hip hop mentalist of the highest order who never served time in a mental ward but whose main inspiration, Kool Keith, did. He's the man, and the only man to create a great track with a Sesame Street theme song loop, Cookie Monster samples, and grumbled mentalist lyrics.

He looks like this, which is why dinner with him would be scary:

doom2.jpg

Ludwig, fan of mentalist musicians

Hmmm. I'm at a loss as to why Doom is visiting my humble little white-bread home town of Fort Collins (and its equally white-bread sister town Boulder) between jaunts to San Fran., L.A., Philly, and NY.

Perhaps things at home have changed more than I thought....

Ah, didn't realise he'd signed to Rhymesayers. Should be a great tour. I must pick up that Brother Ali EP, and pop Nov 16th in the diary too.

I think I'd be inclined to try and persuade him to try the ribs just to see how he coped.

Matthew

kasperhauser,

"Mentalist" is a term coined by Matthew R, likely in a mildly inebriated state. It refers to someone who's not quite psych ward material, yet retains many of the same attributes as a psych ward inhabitant- random grumblings, reclusive, alter ego, unusual clothing, disturbing doodlings, etc. Matthew put it this way (though I find it harsh):

A Mentalist is a mad person. For example:

"How's it going that new girlfriend of yours?"

"We broke up as she turned out to be a complete mentalist. Kept burning my socks"

I've had a look in the Doom forum, and it seems that the leaks were accurate, and that it's another album full of filler with a handful of stand-outs. I know I'll still buy it.

Did you get any of the special herbs collections? I've seen 4, 5, & 6 on vinyl, but it's not very cheap.

No, I haven't bought any from the Special Herbs collection, though my local shop has a few in stock.

WRT the Nov album, I have 23 (or 21?) leaked tracks and as a guess half are probably throwaway filler.

advertisement

Back