advertisement

DIN-5 cable upgrade recommendations?

miles_b

pfm Member
I recently moved my stereo into a room where I had to downsize from two racks to one. This meant having to sit my CDS3 outsize of the rack, until I picked up a rack with an additional tier. While that was the case, I was forced to use a Chord Solid 2 RCA-to-DIN cable to connect the CD player's RCA outputs to my NAC-102, as it is the only 2m-long interconnect I own. Now that I have everything situated on a taller rack, I switched back to the Naim Standard Interconnect I had been using, and it sounds as though the Naim interconnect is smearing some bass detail, and limiting bass dynamics as compared to the Chord cable. So this has me curious about what might be out there in terms of 1m-long DIN-5 to DIN-5 cables that would be a sonic improvement over the standard Naim interconnect, while not costing anywhere near the price of a Hi-Line.

Old style Chord Anthem din to din. Not very common though. I use between cds3 ( also Opus 21) and Nac 52. If using the Opus into Exposure pre amps I use an Anthem 5 pin to two phonos. My favourite for many years. It may have been Chords top of the range at one time. 15 + years ago ? Still ace.
Not very flexible mind you. Care to be taken where cables enter the 5 pin din and/or phonos.

When situating the CDS3 on the taller rack, and replacing the Standard Interconnect, did you also reseat the Burndy plugs on both the CDS3 and XPS ends?

When situating the CDS3 on the taller rack, and replacing the Standard Interconnect, did you also reseat the Burndy plugs on both the CDS3 and XPS ends?
Absolutely. Changing racks resulted in a complete disassembly and reassembly of everything.

I’m getting a Chord Sarum T analogue din:din tomorrow. It will connect my CDS 2 to xps.
This to replace standard Lavender cable. Traded in my hiline which in retrospect didn’t make music like the Lavender did. We will see .....
David

Absolutely. Changing racks resulted in a complete disassembly and reassembly of everything.
I suspected as much, however, it never hurts to ask.

I do recall some CDS2 and 3 owners raving about the posher Chord DIN to DIN interconnects back on the old Naim forum. Perhaps a wanted ad on here might dredge one up at a reasonable price.

Assuming you don't have another use for the 2m Chord Solid 2, another idea is to cut that in half and make a DIN to DIN of one half, and a DIN to RCA out of the other. 5-pin 180º Preh DIN plugs are cheap to buy and not too difficult to solder.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back