advertisement

Digital Source Advice

roy

pfm Member
I have run high quality analogue systems for the last 40 years, but I need some advice to bring myself into the 21st century. I am planning on replacing my turntable, CD player and tuner with a streaming / network device, but I have no idea how to go about it.
I have purchased a pair of AVI DM1O active speakers, which contain a remote controlled preamp, power amp and 24/96 DAC. I also have an iPad Air 2, but no laptop. I would like a device that can play and rip my cd collection, play music obtained online and also have an internet radio facility for jazz fm, classic fm and radio 2.
I prioritise high quality sound over convenience, so I am looking for equipment recommendations and advice on how to set this up, either via this thread or by PM please.
Many Thanks

You have almost everything already, you just need a ‘streamer’ which can send a digital signal to your speakers, you could probably use your Ipad, with the correct connections,I know Auralic for example can send a digital output which you can attenuate within their software.
Before you rip all your CDs look at the available lossless streaming services Tidal/Quboz.
Keith

What sort of budget (with or without the sales/trade in).

If you don’t want the hassle of using a CD drive/Computer/Software then you can buy devices that do it all, these 3 companies make various versions. These days I’d only rip the CD’s that are not available to you on Qobuz or Tidal, if there are only a few get a mate to rip them to a USB Pen or Hard Disk as a favour.

https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/category/novafidelity-music-streamers

https://innuos.com/

https://www.melco-audio.com/

Whilst a dCs Bartok is a very nice bit of kit, it's unlikely that a £12K dac/streamer would be used with DM10s!

Th easiest and most flexible bit of kit (with a great app, which is critical) is the Bluesound Vault 2i. Either take the analogue out or DAC out to your speakers. Job done.

Reactions: RoA
I have run high quality analogue systems for the last 40 years, but I need some advice to bring myself into the 21st century. I am planning on replacing my turntable, CD player and tuner with a streaming / network device, but I have no idea how to go about it.

I'm a tad puzzled by the decison to *replace* the turntable. Despite now mainly listening to 'digital' I retain mine to play some old LPs. (Ditto for cassettes TBH). Are you discarding all your old LPs? I've kept mine even when I've bought a later CD, etc, that is nominally 'the same'... which often isn't.

Thank you for all of the recommendations so far. There is plenty of research to be done already.
I was thinking about a budget of around £1000, which would be flexible if the improvement in sound quality warranted extra outlay.
I only own around 150 LP’s, most of which are less than a year old, so my aim is to downsize the system without losing too much quality.

What sounds better, the CD player through the old system, or the DM10s?

If you are into Apple maybe get an Airport Express (unhelpfully discontinued but available s/h) which has an optical out you could connect to the DM10. Then you can play stuff from the iPad. Or a Bluetooth adapter.

Tim

1. Bluesound Node 2i

2. Phono stage for your turntable.

The Bluesound will do everything you need, you can archive your CD’s to a memory stick or external drive and it will do all the streaming services and internet radio you need. Plus the App works really well. It will also sound superb via it’s digital out into the AVI’s. I run mine into my Weiss DAC202 so I know how good it is.

Phono stage to keep your record player - don’t sell it!

I’ve had ADM9’s before in my second system and really liked them btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA
Another vote for the Bluesound stuff. A great way to get into the streaming world, sounds very decent & the app is one of the better ones. Can’t go wrong.

Thank you for all of the recommendations so far. There is plenty of research to be done already.
I was thinking about a budget of around £1000, which would be flexible if the improvement in sound quality warranted extra outlay.
I only own around 150 LP’s, most of which are less than a year old, so my aim is to downsize the system without losing too much quality.

So are you going to bin the LPs? Given that they are mainly "less than a year old" that would be odd. Hence are you going to try and sell them? LPs may sound different to a commercial CD or a file of (nominally) the same material because your replay system as well as the cutting are factors.

The CD player sounds really good through the AVI DM10’s and I am hoping that a digital solution from Bluesound or Innuos will be equally good. The turntable sounded a lot better than the CD player in my previous system, but that is not the case in the DM10 system.I already have a really good Lehmann phono stage, so the difference in my outlay between my analogue and digital sources are considerable. I intend to sell the LP collection after the turntable and phono stage have been sold.

advertisement

Back