advertisement

Digital out only TV

£12 miniature DA converter off eBay did the biz for me. The one you ordered from Amazon looks physically similar, and probably has the same internals....

9 or 10 o'clock is where I would be at with cd, although im pretty sure going well beyond that won't cause damage it just seems wrong to be at 3 o'clock!
Am I right in thinking that optical out (toslink) has no volume control so to speak so the only variable is the neet dac?

I'm using the same DAC with my Samsung smart TV and I don't have to adjust the volume between Squeezebox and TV/DAC in both cases (with Naim 102/250) volume is around 9 o'clock for sensible volume.

With my TV you can't adjust the level that is output to the DAC, TV volume control has no effect and there is no setting in the TV menus which alters the level either.

I need whatever sound should be coming from the TV to go to the amp be it from sky box, wii u, laptop via hdmi. I can't see how analogue rca outputs from say the sky box could cover all these bases.

My little box of tricks arrived today, connected via toss!link, sound quality is fine but the gain is too low. I need my amp volume dial at 3pm before I think "yup that's LOUD enough.

Sorry don't know how to multi quote but to the other chap the reason I would have to unplug the 3.5mm jack from the TV is because 90% of the tvs usage is for her soaps, im not rocking emmerdale on the scm40's!

Hi

I may be 'the other chap'.

Have you actually tried using the TV speakers without unplugging the headphone jack?

Depending on the model of your TV you may find you can use both at the same time.

The TV user guide may give a clue but worth trying anyway.

EDIT If you have a scart connection on the TV, something like this may work http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018DE4ZU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
9 or 10 o'clock is where I would be at with cd, although im pretty sure going well beyond that won't cause damage it just seems wrong to be at 3 o'clock!
Am I right in thinking that optical out (toslink) has no volume control so to speak so the only variable is the neet dac?
It seems a bit odd - have you tried connecting the optical in of the dac unit you have bought to the optical out (if there is one) on your CD player? If the volume from that seems to be about right at 9-10 o'clock, then the TV is outputting a rather low volume digital signal for some reason. There *might* be a way to adjust the digital out level buried in the options or tools/sounds submenu - depends on the make/model of the TV.
Anyway, apart from the annoyance level of having to change the volume position for TV listening, you are right, its not doing any harm.

I haven't tried headphones and TV speakers yet but will give it a whirl.
I've ordered the fiio d3 to see if it makes any difference.
I've searched through the settings on the TV too no avail (Panasonic txp50gt60b)
It does have a scart adapter so will check your link.
My cd player is a naim cd5x so is totally useless at anything but playing cds unfortunately, the rega seems far more useful with optical in!

Does it say anywhere what the voltage output of the neet dac is? Normal digital line level is 2v, but some dac chip direct outputs are less than this (which this may be, no idea)

Well I bought a Panasonic blu ray player which has descent analog out so at least my movie watching is sorted, sounds OK playing cds too.
The chap that suggested the TV might have separate volume for TV speakers and headphone output was right :) so that's an option, still waiting for the fiio d3 to arrive so will see how that fairs first.
Just need some good blu rays now

Quick update in case anybody ends up in the same situation, the fiio d3 arrived and the volume is now perfect, not sure if the neet dac was defective or if it's just the way they are but it's going back. The fiio has the advantage of being USB powered also so powers up and down with the tv.

advertisement

Back