advertisement

'Digital' Co-ax

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Anybody any views on why, we should pay more for half a pair of interconnects than a whole pair of decent ones?

IOW, is there any 'real' science behind 'digital' i/cs? that makes a single run RCA to RCA called a 'Digital i/c' and just using half a decent pair?

In similar vein.. is there really any worthwhile difference between expensive optical i/cs and any decently made one?

Steps back.. satisfied he's started aother 'cable thread' :D

IOW, is there any 'real' science behind 'digital' i/cs? that makes a single run RCA to RCA called a 'Digital i/c' and just using half a decent pair?

Of course there is. Digital cables have to meet strict specifications in order to transmit data reliably. Try using an out of spec cable and see what happens. I will say though that cost is not a guarantee of quality, so you should not assume that a cable meets the required specs just because it costs more.

RCA is out of spec by default though, if you want to meet the strict specs you need AES/EBU or BNC as the connector.

My Benchmark DAC offers Optical, XLR and BNC, for which latter they supply an adaptor for use with RCA. I have a Nordost Moonglow which is RCA. My other components with 'digital out' (apart from Optical) use RCA.
Just done a bit of reading about 'digital data transmission' and those bits I understood seemed often to quote transmission distance as a factor. Hardly an issue with a 0.5-1.0 metre i/c.

RCA is out of spec by default though, if you want to meet the strict specs you need AES/EBU or BNC as the connector.

True as a strict requirement. However

1) The reality is that most '75 Ohm' coax isn't anything like its rated nominal impedance at lower frequencies than it is designed for.

2) When the run is short compared with the wavelength the cable impedance tends not to matter much.

3) Many of the inputs / output of domestic spdif kit is unlikely to be accurately 75 Ohm I suspect.

As a result I've not had problems using either 50 Ohm coax, or runs of common UHF TV coax of modest lengths. I've also made and use switchboxes without bothering to even check their impedances, and not encountered problems in use.

I'm sure there *will* be cases where a problem arises. But so far as I can tell, that means you're unlucky or need a relatively long run.

'Optical' cables for audio vary a *lot* more in my experience, and you can often see that the light level getting though one example is quite different to when you use a different example and they aren't fairly short.

I know little about cable design but I had noticed that a major cable manufacturer used to charge around half price for a single digial cable than it did for a pair of analogue cables, whereas it now charges roughly the same - perhaps a reaction to the trend towards digital.

In a 'market' the price is simply the value that maximised the income of the seller.
...and which particular property of this particular market do think might tend to mean that the seller is able to profit-maximise at a higher price than is the case with other markets?

...and which particular property of this particular market do think might tend to mean that the seller is able to profit-maximise at a higher price than is the case with other markets?

The "high end" audio market seems increasingly to have turned into a Veblen good market.

Just spat my tea out. $1,500 for a box with a light? Not even a nice light

I wish Freedom of Information requests could tell us which nutters bought one of these

hahaha, not the philosophical questions this time!

If you can hear a difference between two different analogue cables, then something must be different in how they transmit the data . . . . .

And follow-up question: if you think you can, how do you know you really do?

hahaha, not the philosophical questions this time!

If you can hear a difference between two different analogue cables, then something must be different in how they transmit the data . . . . .

advertisement

Back