advertisement

digital camera colours

philiphifi

pfm Member
hi - i looked at several pictures from the sony a7r iv. They are fabulously detailed but the colours still look like something out of a cartoon. is it just me?

Depends on where you saw them... digital cameras don't really record colour in any definitive way. They record values that the next thing in the chain then translates into a colour, so to judge the colours you need to have a completely calibrated chain from camera to final display / print. Difficult to blame the camera itself, as the colours can get changed many times on their journey. One of the reasons I still like to shoot and print in monochrome.

I agree with the previous post.
To accurately display colour, black and white points and contrast you need a calibrated monitor.
And even if you set your camera to produce a JPEG with a particular set of colour and contrast characteristics there's still the chance that the camera may get the white balance wrong.
This is why it is better to shoot JPEG + RAW.

Even in the days of film both Kodak and Fuji used to offer a panoply of different options for contrast, saturation and warmth: Ektachrome E100S saturated, E100SW saturated warm, E100VS vivid saturated or Fujifilm Provia, Velvia, Astia, etc.
Fujilm still offers these options in their X series.

advertisement

Back