advertisement

Digital back for analogue 35mm cameras

Why would anyone care? Analogue cameras had shutters that were not designed for many exposures. Digital cameras have complex electronics that, if duplicated in a digital back, would make them expensive. And that ignores the fact that a digital camera also uses that processor for better exposure and focus control. Maybe there is a reason that nobody makes them.

The idea is cool, many folk love their old SLR or whatever, but why is it so stupidly huge? I’d have hoped it was just a ‘back’ with the circuitry, battery etc occupying the space originally taken by the 35mm film. If it was just a replacement back and reasonably priced I’d have considered one for my old Nikkormat FTn.

I like its clunky look but I expect it would become tiresome very quickly. I could see it appealing to Hipster types but I think I will stick to the purpose built digital stuff.

I think the real challenges will be getting and maintaining accurate focus, and controlling the angle at which light strikes the sensor (especially with older wide angle lenses). If you really want to mix film and digital, medium format backs already offer this capability.

yes sort of using a set of Quad bottles to drive this months uber boxes...of course theres a market for it. Handmade cameras feel better than most modern ones

Why would anyone care? Analogue cameras had shutters that were not designed for many exposures. Digital cameras have complex electronics that, if duplicated in a digital back, would make them expensive. And that ignores the fact that a digital camera also uses that processor for better exposure and focus control. Maybe there is a reason that nobody makes them.

I too suspect the cost of making a fully digital back would be greater than that of a new camera..

(having said that I'me sure that it was possible to use a digital back on some very-high-end cameras, e.g. Rolleiflex

It’s never going to happen.

There are too many variables between camera models to make it feasible.

If it’s the same Kickstarter as I saw recently it involves taking a photo of the image on a ground glass screen. Edit - it’s the same project. On the webpage they show a sensor with a 10mm diagonal.

Digital backs for medium format film cameras have been available for a time but, man, are they pricy. A small car sells for less.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Backs/ci/2788/N/3656173699

joe.

for people who've made the correct choices in life, a medium format digital back should take priority over a car, small or otherwise. i will agree, however, that both are pricey and i own neither one. if i decide to print a billboard ad on the highway i may reconsider.

Secondhand prices for MF digital backs are now fairly reasonable, and imo make a digital MF setup a viable alternative to a DSLR.

advertisement

Back