advertisement

Digital Audio Player Without DAC and Amp

ryder

pfm Member
Is there a Digital Audio Player which comes without a DAC and amp? I only need a DAP which comes with a digital output.

I was investigating digital audio players such as the Onkyo DP-X1 but this one comes with some pretty serious hardware, high-end DAC and amplifier built-in. I don't need all those because I do not intend to use it with headphones. I want to hook it to a DAC which will be connected to a preamp.

Any advice appreciated.

zmojonkyo2.jpg

DAPs are designed to be used as portable all in one music players, I think it’s unlikely you’ll find one without some sort of dac, whether cheap or expensive, the problem is more likely finding a cheaper one with a separate digital output.

What about just using a tablet or smartphone connected to your dac?

Does it need to be portable? A Raspberry Pi can play pretty much anything and can be run with solely a digital output hat, though it requires a 5v power source. But can be had for $50.

Thanks for the responses. I'm currently using an Android phone LG V20 connected to the DAC but it's via 3.5mm headphone output of the phone and not USB-C. Sound quality is fairly good with the 3.5mm output perhaps contributed by the "audiophile-standard* Quad DAC of the phone. Nevertheless, the sound has gone through the internal EQ processing and DAC of the phone so it is not entirely pure, hence the thought of a digital out. Not sure if a USB-C to RCA will work on the phone but will try it some time.

Will look at the Raspberry pi. It doesn't need to be portable.

I've connected Micro-USB on Android into USB input of DAC and it just worked. I think USB-C describes just the physical connector so it should work similarly. You need the right cable that's all.

Last edited:
Yes, the Mojo has a micro USB input, so, as Darren says, it should be possible to feed the digital output from your phone direct into the dac. I don't know the Android phone you have but I can certainly play music from my iphone direct into a usb dac without any problem.

The Shanling M0 can be used as a transport (output through USB-C to an external DAC). Although it also has a DAC/Amp, it is very cheap (around GBP 99).

advertisement

Back