advertisement

Difficulty ripping Warner Bros. CDs

mr_phil

If it isn't broken, try harder
My brother in law has tried ripping to FLAC with dbpoweramp and another utility but can't get them to work (loads of other discs do work). In one case he can get a FLAC which plays very distorted and with the other it will read the disc, list the tracks but then fails. He has tried ripping in another PC with same results; the discs play music normally but not in his new PC. Any ideas guys????? :confused:

Modern drives (DVD and Blue Ray) are becoming less compatible with CDs, which were designed for infra red lasers.

The best software or reading a marginal CD is EAC and its free

Definitely standard CDs? Not SACD hybrids?

dppoweramp has never failed to read any of my CDs - though off the top of my head I don't know if any were Warner Bros...

Do the discs play in a PC - i.e. with media centre or itunes?

How many discs is he having the issue with?

Thanks Vital; standard CDs, 3 discs, play in a cd player and laptop but not in a new PC.

dbpoweramp failed on a couple of mine most notably Beatles white album where one disc was fine but the other was absolutely no good - both played fine

Is there any encryption possible which is red book compatible?

Warner and other labels tried CD copy protection mechanisms in the past to try and combat ripping. The copy protection schemes add intentional corruption which in theory CD players can cope with and computer drives cant. Needless to say this did not work consistently and did not have the desired impact. There are tools such as Clone CD which may be able to remove the copy protection but it depends on the implementation, lots of suggested workarounds on the WWW.

It would be useful to know the titles.

Some US Led Zep CDs had copy protection which made digital copies play heavily distorted. EMI infamously introduced their Copy Protection that rendered the discs unplayable on many CD players, especially in-car players. The format failed to conform to Redbook standard and consequently their products do not carry a 'Compact Disc Digital Audio' logo.

There are many solutions, dependent on source material and system being used. A really easy way is to make an analogue copy of the disc, then rip that version.

No, just try a different drive. I keep some old drives around just in case. Usually at least one of them will get a good rip from the CP Warner discs, although it's worth switching between EAC and DBpoweramp as one combination of drive and ripping s/w usually cracks it.

Just keep shift pressed as you insert the disc, this will stop any root kit loading, works with Cactus protected discs.

There are many solutions, dependent on source material and system being used. A really easy way is to make an analogue copy of the disc, then rip that version.

I've had to do that with three, main listening place is through the computer so if they don't work on that i do an analogue copy and take them back for a refund.
Now have the technology to do a copy from the digital outs too if it ever happens again.

The DVDs in two new Dell PCs here have problems with 10% of my CDs or so. The same CDs rip well in either a LG USB DVD or in a 2004 Dell PC.

This is about standard CDs, no CP.

My sony laptop died and never had any problems ripping cd s , I now have a hp laptop and will not rip some cds , but the selection is a bit random . In both cases I used dp poweramp ,so maybe the dvd drive is the problem .

Possibly the firmware rather than the drive itself. It generally seems to be true though that older CD-ROM drives are better for ripping. Cheap as chips to buy, and a doddle to install.

advertisement

Back