advertisement

Different length XLR cables between pre amp and active speakers?

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
Hi there,

possibly a daft question, but there is still the occasional shred of audiophile paranoia resonating within me:

It shouldn't make much of a difference whether you 'drive' active speakers with XLR cables with different lengths? I can see how it may make a (probably very small) difference with normal speaker cable driving passive speakers due to difference in impedance and suchlike, but actives?

Nah, right?

Given that my rack is to the right of the speakers, i.e. not between them, we'd be talking about 5m for the left speaker and 2m for the right - I fail to see the point of a pile of rolled up excess cable behind the right speaker.

Cheers,
Samuel.

I asked the same question and was told it was to do with output impedance on the pre, or something.

Unless you think youd never need the extra, then go for the 2&5m lengths. Personally I'd buy 5&5m just in case i want to move stuff around. 3m is easy to put away.

Another vote for 2 and 5m lengths. Buy the same microphone cable that the studios use (klotz, mogami, or something like that) and (if you still have any lingering doubts) ask yourself if it is likely that all the mics in the studio are connected by the same length of cable :)

Another vote for 2 and 5m lengths. Buy the same microphone cable that the studios use (klotz, mogami, or something like that) and (if you still have any lingering doubts) ask yourself if it is likely that all the mics in the studio are connected by the same length of cable :)

Lots of good advice here ............

Louballoo

advertisement

Back