advertisement

Different length speaker cables

sbilotta

pfm Member
Hi guys,
I'd like to tap into your experience if I may.
I have a Naim system and am considering buying a s/h pair of speaker cables, that are not though of the same length: 3 and 4.5 meters.
I think I've read in the past that it doesn't impair the sonic qualities of the audio but can it also have any long term effect on the power amp ? Or anything else ?

Many thanks
Stefano

1.5M isn't going to be considered a lot in the scheme of things.

I've been running different lengths to my Isobariks from Linn LK140s for years without any noticeable effect.

Unfortunately not as 3 m. on both sides wouldn't be enough; thought of that.
I have my boxes on the left of the speakers, meaning that 3 is ok for the left and 4.5 should just be enough for the right speaker, even though not passing behind the left speaker, but fortunately WAF is not a concern in my situation:)

However my main concern are potential sonic and amp (Naim) related issues.

Wow. Seriously, this is different than anything I can recall hearing or reading. Counterintuitive but................distance isn't much given propagation speed but.......
who am I to say.

Interesting

The amplifier won't care, and another 5mOhms isn't going to make a jot of difference between channels; just do it.

Old naim amps require a minimum of 3.5 meters of nac5 to give the correct inductance as they omit the inductor from the amp outputs.

So in general it is okay to use speaker cables of different lengths then, like 1.5 meters and 3.5?

This won't bugger up the sound or amp (apart from old Naim models)?

Jack

Correct Jack. Sound will be 100% exactly the same. Another scam to sell more cable. Why sell a 6m and a 3m when you can sell two 6m?

Old Naim amps require a minimum of 3.5 meters of nac5 to give the correct inductance, as they omit the inductor from the amp outputs.

Well, fancy Naim saving money like that.
The buyer them has to buy some ( presumably ) Naim cable so that
Naim can maximise its profits.

You're better off with an old Quad amp.
You can then use some cheap ( orange, of course ) electric mower cable.

I ran my system with 3.5 of Naim one side and 8 of exposure the other for about a year. Some may need to be sitting down for the next bit. The 8 metre length was made up of two bits twisted together and taped with the 'directionality' arrows opposed! (the 4m bits only had plugs at the speaker end and I wanted plugs both ends) Sounded much better that way as the speakers were in a better place. After a year I got around to buying two 8 metre lengths, no difference but the OCD receded.

advertisement

Back