advertisement

Differences between Asaka & Klyde

Linn Naim

pfm Member
I have an excellent Asaka, which was checked and auditioned by Peter Swain last year and pronounced to be in excellent condition i,e an extremley clean stylus and sounding very good.

My Q. is, how does the Asaka sound compared to the Klyde and which cartridge= Klyde or equivelant Dynavector would be the best with IBLs driven by 72/hi/160?

Look forward to your replies,

Chris N

ps,
My arm is an Ittok LV11

I'd say new the Asaka is a few steps below a Klyde.

Asaka < Karma < Troika < Klyde

They might all be more the same once rebuilt by Expert Stylus.

Although the Klyde is a newer cartridge its performance polarizes opinions, it is often slated for being a poor tracker and having an uneven tonal balance.
I have one on my LV11 at the moment and it sounds good to me but it is about to replaced with a re-tipped Troika.
I would stick with the Asaka until it wears out.

In my system the Klyde was better than the asaka ( I have had 2 of each ) and both of them are bettered by the Karma IMHO

Rgds
Stuart

they must be very very close then!

I originally bought an Asaka because the shop couldn't really demonstrate how much better the Karma was, so I bought the cheaper one.

A few months later an opportunity arose to do the dem again, and that time I did get it because I'd got used to the Asaka and my perception had probably improved as a result.

Even then the difference was pretty marginal, slightly better definition in the bass was about it, and its was the sort of difference easily forgotten the second you've left the shop. I certainly don't think I made a bad choice by not buying a Karma.

The Troika was streets ahead of both though, and there's needle drop on here of a Klyde which suggests its in the Troika league rather than the Asaka/Karma one.

If your system balance suits a cartridge with a 6 dB fall in response across the audio band, go for the Klyde!

If your system balance suits a cartridge with a 6 dB fall in response across the audio band, go for the Klyde!

The measurements in the Q3 number of Hifi Critic don't agree with you, the only measurement where the Klyde was worse than the test average was tracking.

IMHO anyone who thinks the Klyde is worse than a troika needs their ears syringing!!!
When the Klyde first came out and was lowered into the groove i thought it was faulty!
No unfortunately they all sound like that,without any shadow of a doubt,one of the worst cartridges iv'e heard!!

IMHO anyone who thinks the Klyde is worse than a troika needs their ears syringing!!!

I've got both and if I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Klyde but not by a huge margin. They're both quite good on the end of an Ekos.

The klyde to me always sounds thick/leaden,as stated both myself and colleagues commented on this on its release,whilst the Troika has its faults,used within its limitations it never sounded harsh,indeed its major problem,like all Linn cartridges is their tracking ability-the Troika especially when lovingly blessed at ESC,certainly puts a smile on your face!!

The klyde to me always sounds thick/leaden,as stated both myself and colleagues commented on this on its release,whilst the Troika has its faults,used within its limitations it never sounded harsh,indeed its major problem,like all Linn cartridges is their tracking ability-the Troika especially when lovingly blessed at ESC,certainly puts a smile on your face!!

I have both and use ES and the Klyde does not sound as you describe.

Well perhaps yours is different!
Having heard the Klyde many times over many years in many different deck/arm combos i remain convinced of my findings,perhaps your system is masking the faults i describe?

Well perhaps yours is different!
Having heard the Klyde many times over many years in many different deck/arm combos i remain convinced of my findings,perhaps your system is masking the faults i describe?

Must be, maybe I'll needle drop both and you can play them back through your system and see if you could tell which was which.

advertisement

Back