advertisement

Did Heath Robinson design TT arms

Never seen anything like it with its unusual use of string
The string with a weight is probably meant to provide a constant force rather than the varying force a spring would produce. Until it starts swinging, that is. Also friction.

The string with a weight is probably meant to provide a constant force rather than the varying force a spring would produce. Until it starts swinging, that is. Also friction.
Nylon thread would be a better choice to my mind, but that might diminish its unique appeal.

Looks like the kind of thing my dad could have made in his model engineering workshop. I think dad would have made a neater job. He would at least would have used a hex socket screw or grub screw rather than a cheese head screw to fix the counterweight.

Dad built a cassette deck from scratch, it did actually work but wasn't as good as a commercial deck.

Looks like the kind of thing my dad could have made in his model engineering workshop. I think dad would have made a neater job. He would at least would have used a hex socket screw or grub screw rather than a cheese head screw to fix the counterweight.

Dad built a cassette deck from scratch, it did actually work but wasn't as good as a commercial deck.

I had a feeling the big screw could be meant to add mass to the cw without moving the cw way too much away from the bearing.
The headshell is probably the most massive one I have seen yet & the effective mass of the arm must be huge.
Meaning the arm once swinging one direction, a change of direction will ask quite some force.
Hence quite a punishment for the suspension of whatever cart is unter there.
I bet a waved record will bring the cart's suspension to near collapsing..

I had a feeling the big screw could be meant to add mass to the cw without moving the cw way too much away from the bearing.

You would only need to move the CW a couple of mm to balance it with a sensible screw. The maker just used what he had available. The tube looks like it might be brass, if it is it would probably ring like a bell.

This new Vertere DG-1 Dynamic Groove arm looks a bit familiar

iu

I recall an American pickup arm from ages ago which was suspended on cords of some sort.
It didn't look very 'secure' on the turntable.

advertisement

Back