advertisement

Did anyone see the Starlink satellites last night?

stephen bennett

Mr Enigma
Apparently they appeared as a bead of lights moving across the sky last night.

Actual image.

SpectreRocket34.jpg

Stephen

Yepp, by chance, we were sitting on the deck looking out for the Lyrids Meteorits.
Didn't see any of those (peak will be this night, not yesterday) but clearly made out a stream of Starlinks.
They appeared to be in two parallel rows, although one row was weaker. So we were guessing they are not parallel, but higher in altitude?

You can predict passings on www.satflare.com
The will come across in two waves this night (20->21st) again.

Yepp, by chance, we were sitting on the deck looking out for the Lyrids Meteorits.
Didn't see any of those (peak will be this night, not yesterday) but clearly made out a stream of Starlinks.
They appeared to be in two parallel rows, although one row was weaker. So we were guessing they are not parallel, but higher in altitude?

You can predict passings on www.satflare.com
The will come across in two waves this night (20->21st) again.

The dimmer row could be either the newer satellites that are coated in material to give them a lower albedo (less light-reflective). Or they could be the older satellites at a higher orbit (newer launches are in lower orbit to mitigate space debris risk).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink#Criticism

Just looked at an image from last night, and wondered if any of the conspiracy folks are trying to decode the hidden message?

Last edited:
Indeed yes, they were very clear last night.
Seen them a few times now, last time along with the ISS - it was almost surreal.
They should be visible and brighter still tonight - from around 9.58pm, travelling roughly west to east.
pretty sure around 40 of them tonight.
You may get lucky and see a few shooting stars as well!

Last edited:
Indeed yes, they were very clear last night.
Seen them a few times now, last time along with the ISS - it was almost surreal.
They should be visible and brighter still tonight - from around 9.58pm, travelling roughly east to west.
pretty sure around 40 of them tonight.
You may get lucky and see a few shooting stars as well!
According to the Website, travelling Southwest to East.

It might be that you can only see the first batch if you look east.
With the sun just setting in the west, the reflection angle might be to flat.

Later in the evening, definately look west, southwest.

I presume that the batch will have been deployed in the last couple of days and will therefore be in transfer orbit? If so they will be bunched together and will gradually separate over the next days/weeks.

These are Starlink 5-6 (Old) so I do not think new :- https://findstarlink.com/#1519;3
They are well separated, I think it was a previous set when I saw in singles / pairs and even a triangle?
Anyway, once a few thousand are up there they will become a common sight I guess.

Yes, I think you’re correct; I’ve now read somewhere a March launch. SWMBO and I saw a couple go over in the 21.58 pass this evening

Fairly rubbish tonight comapred to last night - saw about 6 in total, and rather feint at that.
Got me out the house though..

You`d think they could think up original names for this stuff - I worked on equipment for the Starlink system back in 1980.......

could be worse, at least the name of your project doesn’t turn up in a bundle of Swarzenegger movies!

Fairly rubbish tonight comapred to last night - saw about 6 in total, and rather feint at that.
Got me out the house though..

I went out a few minutes early, and saw a different satellite pass over, very bright indeed. Then yes, I saw six or eight faint ones.

Venus is gorgeous at the moment :)

advertisement

Back