advertisement

Diamond Mines???

ports1000

pfm Member
King Creosote and Jon Hopkins. What is it with this cd, nominated for a Mercury music award, highly praised on music forums,fantastic reviews everywhere, not a bad word from anyone?
I don't get it,have tried listening to it many times and although admit it is very well recorded can't hear anything I like in it.
My tastes are very varied and I like most things (except Annie Lennox and most chart rubbish of the last few years) but can someone enlighten me as to what I'm missing with it?

I absolutely love it, there is just so much going on, some of it very subtle, and very far into the mix. Listened to it all the way through this evening. There again I like other King Creosote albums and I can listen to an evening of Tangerine Dream albums from beginning to end and find them engaging throughout, so I guess it just depends upon what rocks your boat. There's probably stuff you like that I just wouldn't get either.

I didn't realise it was highly thought of by the press though. Just as well, it might have put me off!

John

John,I could listen to TD for days,in fact just bought their later stuff as a 10 cd box set from Amazon (bargain at £10) and there really is not much I don't like,as I said apart from the manufactured chart rubbish. I tried listening to it again last night and although I don't find it offensive,I can't see what the appeal is?I listen to Radio Paradise on the internet all day and pretty much really like everything they play!
Ironically I really want to like it!

Well you did your what you could. Probably best not to try any more but to put it away until fashion has moved on then. Sometimes I like albums/musicians until they get "discovered" and then go off them as a result. Don't want to, just happens like that. Some of that is having the feeling that I in some way discovered what I like about them for myself, not because of some sort of herd led reason.

J

advertisement

Back