advertisement

DGG Wiener Philharmoniker Box

Tony, does stuff like Decca wideband, EMI Angel and Lyrita still go for reasonable money on LP? I have the impression that the market's a lot flatter than it was say 10 years ago.

A quick look at Popsike indicates the good stuff is still very high. I've not researched individual titles though, it would be interesting to see how much the many high-quality vinyl reissues (Classic Records, Speakers Corner etc) has impacted things.

Tony,

Yeah, the difficult decision is which of the many classical box sets do you buy.

Joe

If one is on offer at a good price, snap it up or pay more later. A box set I bought recently (the complete works of the French pianist Samson Francois) for about £25 is now £92!

If one's DGG box is looking a little lonely on the shelf there's now a 55xCD DG Archiv box to sit next to it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The problem is, all these labels have many classic recordings that one finds in these sets, and that one probably already owns, so the reason to pick them up is because of the discs in the sets one doesn't already own. I love the original cover ideas, but, as has been mentioned, unless they're single artist driven, I'm not sure I can justify any of them.

I bought the Glenn Gould original jacket box, as they'd done a good job with the covers (unlike the previous clamshell versions) and it was a quick way to get everything (almost, I ended up keeping several of the GG edition sets as they featured tracks that weren't in the box), and managed to flog my earlier editions on the auction-site-that-shall-not-be-named.
Also got the Furtwangler one, and some of the Klemperers. Will buy the Janis one at some point. Still tempted by the Toscanini one...

[EDIT] The furtwangle box features many new-remasterings that were done by Simon Gibson for SACD release (and probably 24/96 DLs in the future).

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the disc list for the 1947-2013 Arkiv box set.

• CD 1 Bach: Triosonaten BWV 525 & 530;Choräle BWV 645-650;Partita BWV 768;Toccata & Fuge BWV 565 (Walcha)
  • CD 2 Bach: Kantaten BWV 4, 56, 82 (Fischer-Dieskau, Lehmann, Ristenpart)
  • CD 3 Bach: Kantaten BWV 19, 21, 79 (Weber, Berlin PO, Lehmann)
  • CD 4 Gregorianische Gesänge: Primae Vesperae in Nativitate Domini;Prima Missa in Commemoratione Omnium Fidelium Defunctorum (Chor der Benediktiner-Erzabtei St. Martin)
  • CD 5 Halle: Le Jeu de Robin et Marion;Rondeaux;Tänze des 13. & 14 Jahrhunderts (Pro Musica Antiqua)
  • CD 6 & 7 Bach: Brandenburgische Konzerte Nr. 1-6;Gambensonaten (Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, Wenzinger)
  • CD 8 Anthems, Madrigale & Fantasien von Gibbons & Morley (Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, Wenzinger)
  • CD 9-11 Bach: Matthäus-Passion (Seefried, Töpper, Fischer-Dieskau, Münchener Bach-Orchester, Richter)
  • CD 12 Bach: Kantaten BWV 8, 45, 78 (Töpper, Haefliger, Ansbach Festival Orchestra, Richter)
  • CD 13 Praetorius: Tänze aus Terpsichore;Widmann: Daentze und Galliarden;Schein: 3 Suiten aus „Banchetto Musicale“
  • CD 14 Symphonies et Fanfares von Mouret & Delalande (Orchestre de Chambre Paul Kuentz)
  • CD 15 Muffat: Indissolubilis Amicitia-Suite;Concerto I “Bona nova”;Biber: Sonate “die Pauern Kirchfahrt genandt”;Sonate für 2 Violinen, Posaune, Violone;Batallia a 10 (Concentus musicus, Harnoncourt)
  • CD 16 Telemann: Konzerte & Sonaten aus Tafelmusik (Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, Wenzinger)
  • CD 17 CPE Bach: Symphonien Wq. 183 Nr. 1-4;Bach: Tripelkonzert BWV 1044;Konzert für Oboe d’amore, Streicher, Bc BWV 1055 (Münchener Bach-Orchester, Richter)
  • CD 18 / 19 Händel: Israel in Egypt (Harper, Esswood, English Chamber Orchestra, Mackerrras)
  • CD 20 Scarlatti: 21 Cembalosonaten (Kirkpatrick)
  • CD 21 Monteverdi: Madrigale;Canti amorosi (Rogers, Partridge. Jürgens)
  • CD 22 Ockeghem: Missa pro defunctis;Obrecht: Salve regina;Beata es, Maria;Salve crux, arbour vitae (Pro Cantione Antiqua)
  • CD 23 Corelli: Violinsonaten op. 5 Nr. 1-3, 7-9, 11, 12 (Melkus, Capella Academica Wien)
  • CD 24 Musik der Gothik (Early Music Consort of London)
  • CD 25 Rameau: Cembalowerke (Gilbert)
  • CD 26 Zelenka: Sinfonia a 8 concertanti;Hipocondrie a 7 concertanti;Ouverüre a 7 concertanti;Sonate Nr. 4 (Holliger, Camerata Bern)
  • CD 27 Bach: Goldberg-Variationen (Pinnock)
  • CD 28 Vivaldi: Concerti “Die vier Jahreszeiten”;Händel: Concerti grossi op. 6 Nr. 10-12
  • CD 29 Telemann: Wassermusik „Hamburger Ebb & Fluth“; Concerti B-dur, F-dur, a-moll (Musica Antiqua Köln, Goebel)
  • CD 30 / 31 Bach: Messe h-moll BWV 232 (Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, Gardiner)
  • CD 32 Palestrina: Missa Papae Marcelli;Tu es Petrus;Werke von Allegri, Anerio, Giovannelli, Nanino (Westminster Abbey Choir, Preston)
  • CD 33 Mozart: Klavierkonzerte KV 456 & 459 /Bilsom, English Baroque Soloists, Gardiner)
  • CD 34 / 35 Monteverdi: Vespro della Beata Vergine (Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, Gardiner)
  • CD 36 Haydn: Symphonien Nr. 39, 41, 48, 55 (English Concert, Pinnock)
  • CD 37 Beethoven: Symphonien N. 5 & 6 (Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique, Gardiner)
  • CD 38 Rebel: Les Elements;Gluck: Alessandro-Ballettmusik;Telemann: Sonate e-moll (Musica Antiqua Köln, Goebel)
  • CD 39 / 40 Händel: La Resurrezione (Annick, Smith, Ainsley, Les Musiciens de Louvre, Minkowski)
  • CD 41 Gabrieli: Music for San Rocco 1608 (Gabrieli Consort & Players, McCreesh)
  • CD 42 / 43 Händel: Messias (Röschmann, Fink, Daniels, Davies, Gabrieli Consort & Players, McCreesh)
  • CD 44 Anne Sofie von Otter – Lamenti: Werke von Bertali, Legrenzi, Monteverdi, Piccinini, Purcell, Vivaldi (Otter, Musica Antiqua Köln, Goebel)
  • CD 45 A Flemish Feast – Werke von Alamira, Agricola, Brassart, GHislin, Obrecht, Susato (Piffaro)
  • CD 46 Desprez: Motetten (Orlando Consort)
  • CD 47 Händel: Italienische Kantaten (Kozena, Les Musiciens du Louvre, Minkowski)
  • CD 48 Rameau: Une Symphonie Imaginaire (Les Musiciens du Louvre, Minkowski)
  • CD 49 Myslivecek: Symphonien (Concerto Köln, Erhardt)
  • CD 50 Vivaldi: Konzerte für 2 Violinen RV 509, 511, 514, 516, 523, 524 (Mullova, Carmignola, Venice Baroque Orchestra, Marcon)
  • CD 51-53 Händel: Alcina (DoiDonato, Beaumont, Gauvin, Il Complesso Barocco, Curtis)
  • CD 54 Victoria: Motetten & Hymnen zum liturgischen Jahr (Ensemble Plus Ultra)
  • CD 55 Monteverdi: Lamento della Ninfa;Händel: Furie terribili;Cavalli: Restino imbalsamante;Gesualdo: Responsoria I & II aus Officium Hebdomanae Sanctae spectantia;Vivaldi: Violinkonzert RV 232 (Prohaska, Carmignola, Arcangelo, Accademia Bizantina, Cohen, Dantone)

Lenny,

The furtwangle box features many new-remasterings that were done by Simon Gibson for SACD release (and probably 24/96 DLs in the future).
Do you have a link to the Furtwängler box on SACD? I searched both the interweb and Amazon, and all I could find were single and double SACD Furtwängler releases from EMI, not a box set.

Joe

Lenny,

Do you have a link to the Furtwängler box on SACD? I searched both the interweb and Amazon, and all I could find were single and double SACD Furtwängler releases from EMI, not a box set.

Joe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CHURXW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I presume this is the Furtwangler referred to. I don't seem to be able to find any reviews that would convince me to buy it. I would like some wangle but don't know where to start?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ian,

That's the EMI CD box. The set Lenny mentioned, and the one that's talked about in the video, is a remastered SACD box.

Given the age of the recordings -- none of which is in stereo -- SACD treatment is overkill, but as is the way with restored and remastered recordings if the SACD set was done meticulously it's likely the best Furtie will ever sound in your home.

Joe

Ian,

That's the EMI CD box. The set Lenny mentioned, and the one that's talked about in the video, is a remastered SACD box.

Given the age of the recordings -- none of which is in stereo -- SACD treatment is overkill, but as is the way with restored and remastered recordings if the SACD set was done meticulously it's likely the best Furtie will ever sound in your home.

Joe

I thought the CD box was same mastering as the SACD box, a down sampled version. Given the original sound quality I wouldn't have expected them to sound any different. Maybe it's not available on CD yet?

Ian

Sorry all, just to clarify: the masterings that were released as SACDs in Japan were used (downsampled, natch) for the CD set as linked to above. More details can be found on this (terribly designed) page:
http://www.emiclassics.com/release/...furtwaengler-wilhelm-the-great-emi-recordings
Basically it's all the Beethoven and Brahms Syms (which all have a (P) 2011 in the booklet).
How much of a difference the SACD is over the CD I can't comment on, but the new remasterings, and the fact that they're from the original tapes (as shown in the informative video) make this purchase, IMHO, really worthwhile.

Thanks, Lenny.

I'll stick with my much cheaper and previously purchased EMI CD box, the one I bought a couple of years ago for about 50 Canuck clams. :)

the-great-emi-recording-e1317054577797.jpg

With recordings this old and already cleaned up, I can't see the technically superior SACDs offering a significant improvement. Bet they'll be worth a lot more in a few years, though.

Joe

advertisement

Back