Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Desktop

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Browsing while listening to the hifi

Votes: 40 80.0%
  • Just browsing and nothing else

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
My desktop is only the size of a stack of 5 CDs. Tablets are effective cheap remote controls. Phones are for making phone calls & sending texts. I cannot conceive of surfing without listening to music, or surfing without listening to music. I'm a big fan of streaming & file based audio.

I use an iPad for surfing, and for Roon to pick music to play through my stereo. Sometimes music is a background thing while I browse idly, or read or eat, but when I am listening properly I do it to the exclusion of everything else. Similarly, if I want to browse seriously or use a computer I go to a separate room where I use my iMac with a nice big screen at a desk. Stopped using a laptop years ago, and haven’t missed one, nor has my back, eyesight or fingers. Don’t use my phone for anything hardly, but have found an Apple Watch is more useful than I thought it would be. I talk to it rather than press buttons, and it is very handy. I can even use it to find my phone.

Browsing, laptop, and less often via phone, with say R3 on main system - yes. I have an iPad, but rarely use it - for me it falls/fails between the other two choices; that is mostly used for facetime, a little youtube, an occasional movie off the NAS via headphones.

Listening to music as an activity stands on its own.

Listening to music while working - far too distracting, at any level where what is playing is perceptible = never get anything done; so totally prefer to work in absence of playing music of choice. Abstract noises esp. the hum of a healthy design studio I miss, and we can't wait to get back to...

Depends on my mood and how tired I am. I usually surf with a MacBook Air whilst listening to music, but might also play games on my iPhone or just turn out the lights and immerse myself in the music.

I use an iPad to control music selection, volume and lighting. Many times I look at the All Music or Steve Hoffman website while listening to a particular album to gain more insight.

I use an iPad Pro for virtually everything day to day, the MacBook only gets powered up if I have anything serious to do (accounting, invoicing, server admin etc). Browsing constantly. I can no longer watch a film or whatever on the TV without checking what is going on online, though it is my job so I guess that makes some sense. I use the TV’s YouTube app far more than terrestrial TV these days, most days I watch nothing other than an hour of Sky News when I wake up and Newsnight. Everything else is geeky YouTube music, audio and vintage computing videos. As an example Fripp & Eno No Pussyfooting (prompted by another thread) is spinning on the 124 as I type this.

Reactions: RoA
I mostly browse on my phone, a Note 10 occasionally on my Dell XPS15 if I sit down for a longer session. I often listen to Quobuz or Tidal (I know, sad to have both but streaming is all I do these days). I tend to use my Galaxy Buds Live on the phone as its wireless and the Grado on my laptop.

I also seem spend far too much time on YouTube but it's such a great source of ... everything and it has far overtaken any other TV watching.

Laptop - a nice lightweight, slimline metal Apple Macbook-a-like Asus Zen is used for both Roon control and browsing in the man cave. An Ipad is wonderful for Roon control too - but the only Ipad in the house that is new enough to run Roon Control is my wifes - and that stays firmly in the kitchen or sitting room - unless she is away!

Dropping hints that another Ipad might be a good idea... hint hint and birthday coming up.

advertisement

Back