advertisement

Device for internet radio

brab

pfm Member
Internet radio provides most of my listening for which I use a very basic dedicated laptop with SSD drive with little else on it other than the necessary browser for accessing the stations. The laptop feeds a DAC via usb. Are there other devices, server, streamer whatever, I'm not up on either the technology or names, that would give me better sound quality for internet radio over what I'm using now?

There are several stations that offer higher resolution. You may already use these. Using a quiet laptop with usb to an effective Dac is really all you need. It will produce a sound that is very comparable to other streaming equipment. I used to use JRiver this way with its controller. I then discovered the Pi and developed my own screened streamer. Sound quality is on par with my laptop and my FILs streamer. I think Keith still uses a laptop. There are all sorts of softwares you can add the supposedly enhance the sound. You could explore those if you wish. JPlay, Pure Audio etc. Or you could buy a used mint Squeezebox Touch and use the web or much more advanced local server.Many options really. Just added a sabre Dac to my Pi and will be adding a hard drive through Samba today in prep for some ripping(God help me).

Thanks. Good to know from your reply that there isn't anything that the will take sq to another level. Sometimes I use Neutron, a so-called audiophile music player, to get stations, but I don't notice any difference compared with the radio station's own stream.

advertisement

Back