advertisement

Devialet with Harbeth / My first impressions.

It seems to be a hybrid Class A and D method similar to something used by Quad in the past but much more sophisticated.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe Mr Disbeliever should do a bit of Goggling and get his facts right first.

On HiFiWigwam, Disbeliever also posts as Highfidelity and has allegedly been identified as Gerald Bearman, who was importer of the Mayware pickup arms and who is a well known internet troll.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?52634-Devialet-D-Premier/page44

As he has previously said he is only interested in Class AB power amplifiers, its disturbing why he wastes his own time on this and related threads and even worse why he wasted a dealer's time having a home demo of the Devialet having already said he had no intention of buying one.

Sad.

What truth - It's just your opinion. You didn't like it before you'd heard it. Then you tried one and still didn't like it. I tried one, liked it and bought one and really enjoy what it does. I really don't understand why you spend so much time on this personal crusade across a number of forums.

Very strange.

1 Nothing better to do; or
2 Likes the product but cannot afford it; or
3 Envious of their success and perhaps did not have that himself with Mayware; or
4 Hates the French

He has amply demonstrated his lack of understanding as to the tech spec of this particular product in other threads, I had assumed he was a trade troll and it looks like that is the case. Perhaps the mods would know more. He certainly seems to have an agenda given that few people would waste posts on stuff they were not interested in.

indeed. As I understand it the tech they have deployed is similar to that in the NCore nc400 modules which has a rep for Class A performance (which is my preference over most AB) but Class D heat levels.

Hi Greg, the technology has been explained on the web in more depth than most others I have seen, including a white paper they published themselves.
Google is your friend - no need for wild speculation!
It isn't like any other, possibly most like quad current dumping in concept though completely different in excecution.

They run quite hot, >50C, since they are effectively class A amps with some clever technology running in parallel.

Very strange.

I have owned and demo'd many amps and DACs with the Harbeths, and the last attribute I would give the Devialet is that it's 'shut in and lifeless with inaccurate highs.'

I have found it to be the most open, transparent and natural sounding piece of equipment I have ever owned to date, and nothing has ever made the Harbeths sound so open and able to reproduce their very special character. I have been troubled in the past with Harbeths not being as open and detailed on the end of other equipment, but with Devialet? No.

Of course we all hear different things, so your opinion is technically as valid is mine... but it does sound at odds with the majority opinions on the forum and elsewhere.

I'd be careful of hoping that the 170 is different to the 110 in terms of SQ. It's a more powerful version so will be better on less sensitive speakers, but with Harbeths? I think you would struggle to hear a difference at normal listening levels. Anyone, please chip in with any experience here.

I've listened yesterday the D1 with Harbeth 30.1. What i heard didn't impress a lot... the sound is clean but lifeless and also "shut in". The highs are not really accurate ( instrument like saxophone sound "edgy").
The seller replace replace D1 by MDAC+LFD PA2M power amp and the music came back. This combo put a smile on your face... i've bought the M30.1 and in the future i think i will buy LFD amp... it's so much better
It seems the new D170 is really better that the D1 but i've some doubts... I will try when the dealer will receive it

Hi Greg, the technology has been explained on the web in more depth than most others I have seen, including a white paper they published themselves.
Google is your friend - no need for wild speculation!
It isn't like any other, possibly most like quad current dumping in concept though completely different in excecution.

They run quite hot, >50C, since they are effectively class A amps with some clever technology running in parallel.
indeed. Are you familiar with the tech deployed in the nc400 modules?

Is there a list of UK dealers anywhere?

I have found a couple of companies advertising down South but nothing anywhere near me in Cheshire.

Thanks

I live in Liverpool and had the same problem. I asked around and was led to John Roberts at Midland Audio Exchange. It's a bit of a trek for him and I waited a while but he kindly brought up a D170 for a home demo a couple of weeks ago. I recommend him.

Mark

Greg the Ncores and the DVLA are nothing like each other in tech. Sure they both use the magic ''class d word, but the implementations are about as far apart as is technically possible.

If anyone is interested there is currently a lengthy backlog of orders for the 170. I've been waiting for over 6 weeks with no eta currently :(

Greg the Ncores and the DVLA are nothing like each other in tech. Sure they both use the magic ''class d word, but the implementations are about as far apart as is technically possible.
Hmm. Reading Werners description of this tech, it tallied closely with what I read about the NCore tech, I must have misinterpreted.

indeed. Are you familiar with the tech deployed in the nc400 modules?

Reasonably.
They are an well researched implementation of class-D.
Not like ADH at all, either in control or coupling to the speakers, as far as I can see.

If anyone is interested there is currently a lengthy backlog of orders for the 170. I've been waiting for over 6 weeks with no eta currently :(
I also ordered in July. I'm hopeful of arrival by the end of September.
In the meantime I've been keeping myself entertained by bothering Devialet dealers for speaker auditions.

I could never get my unit ( only one) even warm to the touch, that was using the 98dB Cessaro Alphas.
Keith.

There is a function in the Devialet firmware to interrogate a great number of parameters including the temperatures of the analogue amp, digital amp and power supply. Listening to a Symphony at concert hall volume through my 108dB Animas they are around 55C.

I'm ready to believe a lot of things, but 108 dB from the Animas (which I like)? No way.

There are no specs on the website and the designer wasn't forthcoming, my old passive Alphas used a 15" TAD conventional driver and they were only 98dB ,
Keith.

advertisement

Back