advertisement

Devialet Phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can/how do you use a TT with these things? I have 1500 records and simply don't have the energy to sell them.

You could connect an analogue to digital converter to your phono stage and then plug that into an optical input (3 available in total as I understand it) on the Dialog, which then transmits the signal to the Phantoms (just as it does for any digital stream).

Rodrat, I chose to cancel my order from Devialet after waiting a month seeing the date change arbitrarily and bought from Colette because they had them in stock and were pretty much next day. I fill my main room with the Phantoms and the Silver Phantoms are too much for me... Being pretty linear speakers the advantages of more power is Dynamic control at a volume I just would not play at.

TT-wise just get a fairly modest A-to-D converter, as LP is so bandwidth constrained anyway 16/44.1 PCM will be more than fine. £50 tops. Then go into any of the Optical Inputs.

If I were French I would probably create the site in exactly the same way ;)

So can/how do you use a TT with these things? I have 1500 records and simply don't have the energy to sell them.

I am sure you could use a DAC, and even do RIAA digitally, if you can find one with an optical digital output and RIAA plugin, but frankly the product is aimed at people who stream Deezer or Qobuz or files on a computer so I would look elsewhere if you want to stick with LPs.

Ordered from Devialet on the basis I am not that worried if it takes a few weeks. I need to shift some gear to to maintain domestic harmony in the meantime. I went for the more powerful version as my listening room is quite large and the seating position is a good 14 foot from the speakers.

Think of it as a posh Sonos than can replace a mainly digital high-end HiFi and you have it about right.

I haven't heard one, and probably won't until they become more freely available. But I am puzzled by the contradiction between the high praise on this thread and Martin Collom's assertion that the Phantom is essentially a music centre, not a piece of serious high end audio.
Which view is correct? We hear few voices which don't have a specific viewpoint to promote. Is there no-one who will sit back and take a cool, dispassionate, view on this technology?
Or have too few people heard it?

Riccardo Colloms is expressing the industry view - which translates basically to "shit! Where's the margin?"

I haven't heard one, and probably won't until they become more freely available. But I am puzzled by the contradiction between the high praise on this thread and Martin Collom's assertion that the Phantom is essentially a music centre, not a piece of serious high end audio.
Which view is correct? We hear few voices which don't have a specific viewpoint to promote. Is there no-one who will sit back and take a cool, dispassionate, view on this technology?
Or have too few people heard it?

I don't know who martin colloms is but everyone has an opinion and everyone can be correct because he is just some guy with an opinion, like all of us. I think it can quite happily be a music centre and a high end system at the same time, the technology that separated them in the past is now so blurred that I don't know where one ends and the other begins or if there is any separation anymore.

I see it as an inessential purchase for me but a nice one to have good quality music when I spend the winter abroad, to perform live with in small spaces, to grab and listen to the radio in another room, as a second system in he bedroom and I hope eventually integrated into a full surround system with the larger Devialet and B&W 800s and D200. I don't know if I am qualified to have an opinion that extends beyond the walls of my skull but I don't really have much of an opinion on what other people think and I pretty much keep to the functional aspects of the device. But I like it and if I like it some other people may like it too.

I don't mind if it sound almost as good at the other more expensive system, I don't think money is a good metric of worth anyway. I have no real attachment and no pride of ownership, these are just things to make air pressure with, I don't feel threatened by progress. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by just accepting it for what it is. I think to me Its like a piece of clothing that I feel comfy in.

If someone says it's shit, so what? I don't seek validation in another opinions and I don't think opinions are constant across all people at all times and at all stages of their life.

My plan is to take the signal from the cart into the Apogee Duet, which digitizes the signal, perform RIAA in software on the Mac, then optical output into Dialog router.

There are no doubt easier plug and play options as well. But this was what I had been planning pre Phantom for digitizing the records anyway.

I don't know who martin colloms is but everyone has an opinion and everyone can be correct because he is just some guy with an opinion, like all of us. I think it can quite happily be a music centre and a high end system at the same time, the technology that separated them in the past is now so blurred that I don't know where one ends and the other begins or if there is any separation anymore.

I see it as an inessential purchase for me but a nice one to have good quality music when I spend the winter abroad, to perform live with in small spaces, to grab and listen to the radio in another room, as a second system in he bedroom and I hope eventually integrated into a full surround system with the larger Devialet and B&W 800s and D200. I don't know if I am qualified to have an opinion that extends beyond the walls of my skull but I don't really have much of an opinion on what other people think and I pretty much keep to the functional aspects of the device. But I like it and if I like it some other people may like it too.

I don't mind if it sound almost as good at the other more expensive system, I don't think money is a good metric of worth anyway. I have no real attachment and no pride of ownership, these are just things to make air pressure with, I don't feel threatened by progress. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by just accepting it for what it is. I think to me Its like a piece of clothing that I feel comfy in.

If someone says it's shit, so what? I don't seek validation in another opinions and I don't think opinions are constant across all people at all times and at all stages of their life.

Martin Colloms started reviewing in Hi-Fi for Pleasure calling himself FM Hughes, then for many years was the main reviewer for Hi-Fi News & RR, I understand that he is a qualified audio engineer & speaker designer who helped to start Monitor Audio, I also understand that he did not like the pressure from Hi-Fi Manufacturers so he left HFN & RR and started his own magazine Hi-Fi Critic , we are both not very keen on Class D amplifiers.

Colloms makes a big thing of HiFi Critic being "advert free" then ends up with a personal hifi comprising Absolute Scams product worth as much as the average person's house. All that as a poorly paid journo. Right... ;)

The only thing I think he's kept from the days when he advocated PRAT and was able to afford a pile of TOTR Linn & Naim gear is the LP12.

What really sticks in the throat personally is that this is an engineer who wrote the definitive "High Performance Loudspeakers" yet he dismisses a product that seeks to address almost all of the acknowledged limitations of traditional loudspeaker design as nothing more than a toy. His integrity at this point reaches an all time low as far as I am concerned. Sad.

I have no idea whether the Phantom is any good but I would take the unbiased opinion of Frank (also an engineer - with possibly a better CV and no industry affiliations) on this forum over someone like Colloms any day I'm afraid. The only real answer to any of these ridiculous questions is to listen for yourself with an open mind. Some find this remarkably difficult sadly.

Colloms makes a big thing of HiFi Critic being "advert free" then ends up with a personal hifi comprising Absolute Scams product worth as much as the average person's house. All that as a poorly paid journo. Right... ;)

The only thing I think he's kept from the days when he advocated PRAT and was able to afford a pile of TOTR Linn & Naim gear is the LP12.

What really sticks in the throat personally is that this is an engineer who wrote the definitive "High Performance Loudspeakers" yet he dismisses a product that seeks to address almost all of the acknowledged limitations of traditional loudspeaker design as nothing more than a toy. His integrity at this point reaches an all time low as far as I am concerned. Sad.

I have no idea whether the Phantom is any good but I would take the unbiased opinion of Frank (also an engineer - with possibly a better CV and no industry affiliations) on this forum over someone like Colloms any day I'm afraid. The only real answer to any of these ridiculous questions is to listen for yourself with an open mind. Some find this remarkably difficult sadly.

At the moment it is not possible to obtain a worthwhile demo of the Phantoms as a main system even a Devialet rep says he does not use them at Home as his primary system

Harrods glass walled small demo room with speakers positioned on a shelf is totally inadequate .

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back