advertisement

Devialet Phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.
[preen]So I hooked up the Dialog to an Airplay Streamer and am now using the optical input to stream audio from apps (Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, Volumio) instead. This opens up a lot more options to users wanting a bit more than just Deezer and Qobuz and I am playing Spotify and also Locally Stored Media through the Phantoms and if anything my high opinion of these has skyrocketed. Plus I have two more optical inputs (one per Phantom). Superb

The software update 1.1.1.0 has removed any niggling issues. I don't get any stutters or problems, its rock solid for me. A shame that USB is not accessible in this update but its not a deal breaker. If I can get a Phantom based HiFi to output to headphones somehow then I am pretty much sorted on all fronts.[/preen]

Have another preening pony (good call!)

thumb.png

[preen]So I hooked up the Dialog to an Airplay Streamer and am now using the optical input to stream audio from apps (Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, Volumio) instead. This opens up a lot more options to users wanting a bit more than just Deezer and Qobuz and I am playing Spotify and also Locally Stored Media through the Phantoms and if anything my high opinion of these has skyrocketed. Plus I have two more optical inputs (one per Phantom). Superb

The software update 1.1.1.0 has removed any niggling issues. I don't get any stutters or problems, its rock solid for me. A shame that USB is not accessible in this update but its not a deal breaker. If I can get a Phantom based HiFi to output to headphones somehow then I am pretty much sorted on all fronts.[/preen]

Have another preening pony (good call!)

thumb.png

Sounds like they're ready enough to recorder mine.

How would you describe their presentation? Are they clinical at all? Any schrill treble?Or natural?

ta

@strummer: Aw man I am really not a good person to ask on that stuff. They sound good to me. They have a really solid presentation, thats the best I can say. My opinion counts for diddly squat because what I like you might hate and all the fancy words in the world won't skirt around that.

Now the Optical Ports (all three if you have two Phantoms and a Dialog) Work, you can put an AppleTV n one an Airport Express in another and a Roku or a Sky Box or whatever in the other and bypass the Spark software almost entirely apart for software updates and possibly volume control. I prefer flipping between the Services Apps rather than centralising the Services in one app. Spotify through Phantoms is good as is playing my own NAS stuff... Its getting there.

Now the Optical Ports (all three if you have two Phantoms and a Dialog) Work, you can put an AppleTV n one an Airport Express in another and a Roku or a Sky Box or whatever in the other and bypass the Spark software almost entirely apart for software updates and possibly volume control. I prefer flipping between the Services Apps rather than centralising the Services in one app. Spotify through Phantoms is good as is playing my own NAS stuff... Its getting there.

This is very good news. Please continue to preen.

I've just signed up for Qobuz Classical. Doing a bit of preening myself: Sonos Connect > DSPeaker Anti-Mode > Sanders Magtech > ML Montis. Cheap front end, big fat arse.

The DSPeaker is a wonderful bit of kit. I just hope they got that remote sorted which spoiled an otherwise 11/10 product. I think the way HiFi is going we should be investing as little in the front as possible as all in the back end as it were. Even though the AntiMode FIR correction is nothing like SAM, it makes a huge difference in a good way. Part of me wants to implement an all class d/pi/volumio/hifidigi/streamer/headphone amp with 6 200W mono amps and two of the DSP kits. But I'd never use it and probably never finish it.

Well, dsp is really all about the back end , the last chain in the listening experience is the room and stuff like the Dspeaker - which is a bass only system , sure do tame the rooms mangling in that FR range.

Precisely. I am a DIYer at heart. I would use the L25D power amp modules with a shared PSU for left and right. Single Traffo or better still a compact high quality SMPS. You might need to change bits here and there but you get my drift.

• 6 x L25D here
  • 2 PSU regulation stages on the AC input: here
  • I think a decent SMPS @50V/50V 10A ought to see it
  • Pi/Volumio
  • MiniDSP (with stereo Subwoofer outs to use outputs 4 and 8) here would need to address power for that too.
  • some IECs, Binding post and a Machined bit of sexy

Time

And in the end you have a bodged together thing you can buy with a remote control and a hell of a lot better support from a company called Devialet. Which is why I kinda stopped doing, but it doesn't stop me thinking.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back