advertisement

Devialet or Audionet?

The below link provides an insight to Devialet customer care. OK, these review sites tend to attract a high proportion of negativity by their nature, but still I think a general view of Devialet becomes clear.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.devialet.com

Blimey, that is bad. Most small audio companies selling expensive gear generally offer great customer support IME. These experiences would be enough to put me off if I was in the market for this kind of gear

If it came to it, third parties would repair Devialet, just as they do other amps.

How? Bespoke circuitry, myriad SMDs. Reliance on in house software to function. No service manual/info. I can't imagine many hifi repairers would even countenance a look at a Devilaet, let alone attempt a repair.

"just as they do other amps"? These are not like other amps, are they?

Even Devialet don't repair their circuit boards, they only offer replacements. I had an issue with my D220 pro; It was the worst customer service I've ever received, period.
Luckily for me i bought it from a first rate dealer who offered me a full refund even after 3 months and subsequently dropped Devialet due to the shear arrogance of the responses we'd both received.

Even Devialet don't repair their circuit boards, they only offer replacements. I had an issue with my D220 pro; It was the worst customer service I've ever received, period.
Luckily for me i bought it from a first rate dealer who offered me a full refund even after 3 months and subsequently dropped Devialet due to the shear arrogance of the responses we'd both received.
Unlucky. My father in law has had great service from Devialet, through his upgrades to them dialling in to configure his system.it’s a bit like an Audi. Component parts to fit. On the other hand, his dealership has been lousy.

I also believe customers can be arrogant.
It’s a two way process based on care and mutual respect. The best dealers get this. The worst can’t see beyond the pound signs. I’m sure the Audionet is a fantastic piece of equipment, just looking at the care in its build. But the Devialet is also fantastic in equal measure, not least because of its innovation.
It’s just different and modern and I often sense derision based on its digital prowess and looks? It was the same when cd came out. Criticism was often exaggerated. I get the concern with repair but this is similar for a range of hifi and I know people often bought extra transports for their favoured vintage CD players etc.
So far, in the years he has owned Devialet, he’s had no need to have any repair. I often find those who trial often fail to understand the set up etc and this can be a problem. It was the same with the Squeezebox Touch.

Devialets response in a nut shell was "well, you bought a (unused, factory sealed box) discounted demo unit, so what if it has a few issues... we won't be fixing it, even though its still within its warranty period " ....

How? Bespoke circuitry, myriad SMDs. Reliance on in house software to function. No service manual/info. I can't imagine many hifi repairers would even countenance a look at a Devilaet, let alone attempt a repair.

"just as they do other amps"? These are not like other amps, are they?
The Devialet reminds me of the Nagra PSA pyramid power amp which I briefly tried many years ago. I'd agree that not many repairers, even the very experienced ones would attempt a repair if they don't have a circuit diagram and/or manual particularly if the gear are not conventional types where they can be reliably attended to. In my mind these niche products shall rightfully be sent to the manufacturer for repair whilst most if not all unofficial repairers will likely decline a repair job for the Devialet due to the aforementioned reasons. If there are any keen interest from the repairers to take up the job, they might do more harm than good...

The Devialet reminds me of the Nagra PSA pyramid power amp which I briefly tried many years ago. I'd agree that not many repairers, even the very experienced ones would attempt a repair if they don't have a circuit diagram and/or manual particularly if the gear are not conventional types where they can be reliably attended to. In my mind these niche products shall rightfully be sent to the manufacturer for repair whilst most if not all unofficial repairers will likely decline a repair job for the Devialet due to the aforementioned reasons. If there are any keen interest from the repairers to take up the job, they might do more harm than good...
Easy Ryder.

OUCH !

Below is another piece of equipment that if any module fails and are no longer available must be thrown in the garbage, these are the white and black rectangles :

Despite they sound awesome, I definitely stay away !

I also believe customers can be arrogant.
It’s a two way process based on care and mutual respect. The best dealers get this. The worst can’t see beyond the pound signs. I’m sure the Audionet is a fantastic piece of equipment, just looking at the care in its build. But the Devialet is also fantastic in equal measure, not least because of its innovation.
It’s just different and modern and I often sense derision based on its digital prowess and looks? It was the same when cd came out. Criticism was often exaggerated. I get the concern with repair but this is similar for a range of hifi and I know people often bought extra transports for their favoured vintage CD players etc.
So far, in the years he has owned Devialet, he’s had no need to have any repair. I often find those who trial often fail to understand the set up etc and this can be a problem. It was the same with the Squeezebox Touch.

One thing I’ve enjoyed about being a Devialet owner is people criticising it. I find it a lifestyle product with audiophile credentials and in 5 years I’ve had no issues and not had any inclination to replace it. The 2/2019 operating system does everything I could wish a system to do.

There are no doubt other options, but none that attract me.

Blimey, that is bad. Most small audio companies selling expensive gear generally offer great customer support IME. These experiences would be enough to put me off if I was in the market for this kind of gear

Except they don’t. Many simply go bust, and servicing can be hit and miss. It’s a risk you take with this hobby/interest. Even established companies change hands and previously great servicing becomes challenging. I’ve had a B&W subwoofer (still a currrently produced item, not old) waiting a part for >4 months and my dealer is basically tearing his hair out waiting for any updates on what’s happening.

I’ve been a Devialet owner for >5 years and the experience has been excellent for me, including support and upgrades. I’ll always be open minded about alternatives and if something comes along which is better, I’ll check it out. As the poster pointed out above, Devialet does seem to attract a lot of criticism and sniping from people which I have to say I find puzzling to say the least.

advertisement

Back