advertisement

Devastating attack on a mosque in Sinai

Just read that 235 have been killed, that the mosque was a Sufi mosque frequented by families of Egyptian security services employees. Who dunnit?

Upwards of 235 dead is the latest I've read. What a devastating loss of life.

Joe

That's horrible, Friday is the day when the mosques are busiest. My neighbour is of Egyptian descent, I hope it's not near his family.

Friday is "THE" day of functions and worship. Where are all our ME and Islam experts? Is this the Sinai ISIS attacking the Egyptian security forces or what?

This is mega terror as they are saying here. It is religious because it was committed in mosque at the time of pray. The response of A Sisi was with religious terminology.
As I understand the attack is because people didn't give shelter to Isis.
The Egyptian airforce response is the havier since the war against isis in Sinai begun.
Politically it takes place in the week when Russia, Turkey and Iran announced that they had defeated Isis.

Arye

Why does the BBC use the term "Militant Islamists" and not "Shia militia"? Why then give Trump's Twitter feed airtime with the ignoramus aiming his bile towards Islam in general - using terms like "terrorists" and "radical Islam" in order to reach his retarded electoral base? Why not just explain that Shia Militants brutally attacked their Sunni enemy as part of an ongoing regional conflict that has been continuing unabated for centuries now?

Dreadful news. One can only ex press one’s heartfelt sympathy for all those families concerned.

Where have you seen that the attackers were Shia?

You think Egyptian Sunni is now killing Egyptian Sunni?

Now that would be a story.

If that were the case, what would it have to do with "Islamic Extremism" as depicted by Western politicians and media as being represented by ISIS and Iran?

Given that Egypt is overwhelmingly Sunni, and that a very significant portion of those are Sufi, it defies belief that fellow Sunnis would enter a mosque and murder hundreds of their followers.

This is the sort of thing that I think Max was getting annoyed about with the "Fake News" issue. People need to realise, steering of news stories is a subtle but very effective form of propaganda. I don't agree with a lot of what Max says but the BBC reporting of this atrocity is IMHO, irresponsible and insulting to Islam.

You think Sunni is now killing Sunni?

Wow. Now that would be a story.

If that were the case, what would it have to do with "Islamic Extremism" as depicted by Western politicians and media as being represented by ISIS and Iran?

Given that Egypt is overwhelmingly Sunni, and that a very significant portion of those are Sufi, it defies belief that fellow Sunnis would enter a mosque and murder hundreds of their followers.

This is the sort of thing that I think Max was getting annoyed about with the "Fake News" issue. People need to realise, steering of news stories is a subtle but very effective form of propaganda. I don't agree with a lot of what Max says but the BBC reporting of this atrocity is IMHO, irresponsible and insulting to Islam.
So you are assuming something based on your prejudice?

You think Sunni is now killing Sunni?

Wow. Now that would be a story.
Did you actually read the BBC report, Merlin?

Locals are quoted as saying that followers of Sufism, a mystical branch of Sunni Islam, regularly gathered at the mosque.

Although Sufis are widely accepted across much of the Muslim world, some jihadist groups, including IS, see them as heretics.

The head of IS's religious police in Sinai said last December that Sufis who did not "repent" would be killed, after the group beheaded two elderly men reported to be Sufi clerics.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223

Merlin,
What's so incredible these days about a bunch of nutters shooting a couple hundred people in a mosque/concert hall/mall? AFAICT many victims of Sunni extremists in recent years have been other Sunnis.

So basically we do not know who is responsible, right? I thought ISIS was Sunni, and in the past has killed a lot of other Sunnis. If the victims were Sunni-Sufi, and prevalently members of the Egyptian army, would this make sense?

Many of the Sunnis that the West supported in Syria - these so-called 'moderate rebels' have said non-Sunnis who did not convert would be killed, and Sunnis who believed in democracy would be killed, as believing in democracy is considered an insult to Allah, whose laws supersede all others.

These are the kind of people Clinton, Obama, Cameron and May wanted ruling over Syria's secular society.

So basically we do not know who is responsible, right? I thought ISIS was Sunni, and in the past has killed a lot of other Sunnis. If the victims were Sunni-Sufi, and prevalently members of the Egyptian army, would this make sense?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism#Persecution

In most other Muslim countries, attacks on Sufis and especially their shrines have come from Salafis who believe that practices such as celebration of the birthdays of Sufi saints, and dhikr ("remembrance" of God) ceremonies are bid‘ah or impure innovation, and polytheistic (Shirk)

Many of the Sunnis that the West supported in Syria - these so-called 'moderate rebels' have said non-Sunnis who did not convert would be killed, and Sunnis who believed in democracy would be killed, as believing in democracy is considered an insult to Allah, whose laws supersede all others.

These are the kind of people Clinton, Obama, Cameron and May wanted ruling over Syria's secular society.
Another fine specimen of Max's "always trying to be logical" variety of thinking. Never let a good tragedy go to waste when you can twist it into something about Hillary, Obama, Jews, Israel, or preferably all of the above.

Another fine specimen of Max's "always trying to be logical" variety of thinking. Never let a good tragedy go to waste when you can twist it into something about Hillary, Obama, Jews, Israel or preferably all of the above.
I didn't mention Jews or Israel. So what are you talking about?

Do you contend what I stated?

advertisement

Back