advertisement

Desktop PC keeps restarting

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
When I go to shut down my Win10 PC using the power option in the start menu, it does a restart rather than a shutdown. I’m trying to reduce my electricity consumption and, short of unplugging it, I don’t seem to be able to persuade it that I want a shutdown, not a restart. Has anybody else had this and found a fix? I don’t see anything obvious in the power management stuff in settings, for example.

Just a guess, but maybe Microsoft are updating 'behind the scenes' and don't want you to? Or an update has messed with the settings. I know they usually put up a warning banner asking the user not to switch of, but ya never know with MS sometimes.

John

If you plug the machine back in, does it restart? If so, you may find you've enabled a 'restart after power restore' type option in the BIOS. It's designed for server machines so that they restart if there is a power cut, without needing anyone to push the power button.

If it's asking for 'shutdown and apply updates', MS now restarts to ensure changes complete and then shuts down.

advertisement

Back