advertisement

design me a system for folk music

Rockmeister

pfm Member
A pal who is a folk musician and luthier (which credentials just to state he has an acute ear for tone and detail) listens to nothing else. Much of his music is digital, with few records and he listens but rarely. however when he does, he needs it to sound 'live', with the acoustic of the hall or studio present with all it's nuances. Folk ofc is all vibrating wood and strings and voices. Maybe an occasional Cello or Double bass, maybe a low brass note but rarely anything lower, so little need for anything low low and powerful.

Right now he is still using a 40 year old pair of LS3 alikes (kits from Wilmslow audio) an ancient Cambridge amp and etc. He is not a HiFi lover, has no interest in its looks apart from it being well made and woody at a guess and is as poor as a church mouse. The speakers have to be small since they'll grab a spare inch on the shelves in his workshop. Forget Vinyl. Where do I start?

if there would be a good heart here capable of upgrading the components that may need a substitute (caps) and cabling on his current speakers and amps, cheaply, that may turn better or at least cheaper.

The church mouse says he has less than £1000. And it needs to 'see him out'
?
I find he already streams with a raspberry thing from his computer. I think we just need an amp and speaker upgrade. I'm thinking 80% om maybe kit speakers and the rest on a suitable used amp?

I have some Stirling LS3/5A V2s which I am going to be putting in the classifieds for £800 & a nearly new Rotel A10 amp for £175.
TS

LS3/5A's, BC1's or 2's or SP1's or preludes etc, or ESL57's with a class A amp which shouldn't need to be more than 10 - 20 WPC. Almost all valve power amps at this power range are class A anyway (cheating! :D) but there is the Sugden A21SE and a few others around in solid state also.

Source? \/

jethro_tull_songsb.jpg

Hey nonny nonny.

I didn’t think ESL’s would be in budget or fit on a bookshelf?
Ye of little ambition. Suspended by chain from roof, man! I kept thinking speakers that preserve timbre (which rules out ATC SCM7s) with sympathetic amplification. Spendor S3/5Rs being the most economical of the bunch though still not beer budget.

The speakers ought to be fine for folky purposes. Or does he find them lacking in a particular way?

I would try to find a Sugden A21a - not the current version - and see if the Pi streamy part can be tweaked.

If determined to change the speakers you might be able to find the aforementioned Spendor S3/5R at the right price - but how drastic a change would it be?

May be better to give the old ones a service.

If the "LS3 alikes" are indeed basically a Wilmslow kit version of the LS3/5A and well built then a check over and service to be sure they are A1 again and he's got the speakers already!!
I't a long time since i heard them, and cannot recal how close they were in spec or sound to AKSHERAL LS3's. He's been happy for many years and asked me last month if he could 'do better' but since he is way down south, and i'm in Scotland, listening isn't an option :)
I think some valves may be perfik tho. I may suggest he keeps the speakers and looks for a nice valve integrated, pref one that looks ancient. He never ever listens loud. Or an A21?

advertisement

Back