advertisement

Des O'Connor RIP

He recorded 36 albums apparently and I can safely say that I don't have any of them ;) Once pretended to faint after beeing booed off at the Glasgow Empire - the 'English Comics Graveyard'...

Very sad. He was an all-round entertainer. Another one who just always seemed to be around and you thought would go on forever.

My favourite story involving him was a Bob Monkhouse joke - "I saw an old comedian friend I hadn't seen for a while. he was in a sharp suit, getting out of a Rolls-Royce with a stunning lady. Last time I saw him he was dressed in rags, down on his luck, nobody wanted to book him, and virtually destitute. I called out to him "Des!"" (audience laughs).... "Ahhhh, I know what you're thinking...... it wasn't him...."

Miles Jupp once shared a dressing room with Rick Wakeman and was rather awestruck. He asked Rick “When you wake up in the morning, do you look in the mirror and remind yourself that you played piano on ‘Life On Mars?’”

Rick replied “No, I remind myself I played piano on Des O’Connor’s albums.”

Cheers Vinny. :):)

He was a great entertainer. Not my style of music, but he was good at it. He was funnier and more successful as a comic, IMHO, not least because of that genuine ability to laugh at himself. By all accounts a genuinely nice guy all the way through. Sad to see him go, but he had a pretty decent life, and a pretty long one.

Very sad. I liked him.
Genuinely self-made from very humble beginnings.
Had a decent voice too and didn't deserve the ribbing he routinely got for his music.

Yes, he had that rare ability of drawing you in so that you saw him as someone you actually knew, or even possibly as a friend.

He seemed like a nice bloke who didn't take himself too seriously. His music wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I don't suppose that would have bothered him one little bit. RIP Des.

advertisement

Back