Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Derek Bailey

Discussion in 'music' started by Tantris, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

Two 55 minute episodes of Derek's 1992 TV documentary on improvisation, On the Edge, can be watched here:

http://www.ubu.com/film/bailey.html

He had a cracking voiceover voice.

2. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

If you made it through that far you might as well stop and get another book. Its dreadfully written (unless you like being shouted at repeatedly) and he repeats himself. Also, (and more importantly) you and he will be in agreement by now so why waste time? Its not a particularly challenging book and whenever it is hoisted up on this forum is it usually by people preaching to the converted.

So save some time and move on. Life's too short. Even past his best, Vonnegut's far more worthwhile.

3. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Indeed he did. Tremendously funny man as well.

-- Ian

4. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

5. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah. My favorite so far; I love how surreal and totally emphatic it is. And that great smelly, warm recording like it was restored from mangled tape.

Bonus points for the performance being drowned out halfway through by rain thundering down on the roof!

6. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I saw Bailey perform in 1974 at the LSE one afternoon. I was off my head on drugs and thought he was a weirdo who couldn't get his guitar in tune.

I've got some of his albums at home now and his book on improvisation.

My problem is I can't get my guitar in tune. Heh-heh-heh.

Jack

7. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

It's wonderful, isn't it? Only Derek would think to make a record with a dancer, and make it work. The rain is the icing on the cake.

-- Ian