advertisement

Dental hygienists - are they really worthwhile?

I had my first visit to an American dentist recently. First the assistant took eighteen xrays, then the dentist came and had a bit of a poke around before sending me through to the hygenist.

The bill to the insurance company was just north of $500!
:mad: And we think even regular dental care is expensive in NZ...

Eighteen x-rays! It's either thoroughness or an example of the rort that is US healthcare, could it be. Did you have to pay a deductible?

Back in the day it was almost a rite of passage in my neighbourhood to have your false teeth fitted in your 30s/40s due to lack of good oral practices i.e. cleaning your teeth. My dad used to say keep your teeth as long as possible, your food will never taste the same afterwards. Hope I never find out.

Eighteen x-rays! It's either thoroughness or an example of the rort that is US healthcare, could it be. Did you have to pay a deductible?

If the dentist were "on the make" they'd have found 4 or 5 cavities to fill. The problem with US healthcare is that there's every incentive to overtreat if you're a provider.
- The more "treatment" you give the more money you make.
- Most of the payment is from insurance so the patient doesnt care (they is less true now with high deductible health insurance).
- If you try to save costs and miss something, even if it was medically reasonable, you could be sued for negligence.

It's a perfect system to guarantee spiraling costs while delivering marginal levels of care.

If the dentist were "on the make" they'd have found 4 or 5 cavities to fill. The problem with US healthcare is that there's every incentive to overtreat if you're a provider.
- Most of the payment is from insurance so the patient doesnt care (they is less true now with high deductible health insurance).
- If you try to save costs and miss something, even if it was medically reasonable, you could be sued for negligence.

It's a perfect system to guarantee spiraling costs while delivering marginal levels of care.

Is that the famous American Dream?

I don't mind paying the price for quality work. I used to go to a private practice that seemed to genuinely care for its patients. It all changed when the Lumino sign went up.

Back in the day that used to be the plan some unscrupulous NHS dentists followed, that was until the old Dental Estimates Board cottoned on to the fact they were slicing down every occlusal surface with an Air rotor and claiming for multiple MOD fillings.

Thank god things have changed, although I went private practice my annual check does include bite wings, an OPG and a scrape and polish. All for the princely sum of £45 plus £9 per month insurance fee, the other major benefit is that my dentist does emergency call outs.

Mind you I have known her and her husband for 25+ years.

Not all of America is like that - only a minority. We have had great dentists over the past 20 years, but you do have to be wary especially if a new dentist suddenly discovers a lot of new work to be done.

Waterpik every night,

Waterpik Cordless Plus Water Flosser (UK 3-Pin Plug) - White Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00164C5GG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

saves your fingers getting garrotted with floss
Serious q, Dec : how do you aim / place the water flosser, which must require one’s mouth to be partially open, without water spraying all over the place (it must be very high pressure to work)?

Have you found the product to be as effective as the manufacturer claims ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Serious q, Dec : how do you aim / place the water flosser, which must require one’s mouth to be partially open, without water spraying all over the place (it must be very high pressure to work)?

Have you found the product to be as effective as the manufacturer claims ?
It can be done- just partially close your mouth and lean over the sink. Also place the tip on the spot between your teeth before firing and you only need a short burst.
There’s a Philips version that uses a tiny amount of water mixed with air under much higher pressure, in a very short burst.

Word from my Periodonist on my water pik
Waste of time, only thing that works is getting in there with an interdental brush

hi, i use Corsodyl toothpaste, funny colour and not what you could say as being minty, about £3.00 for 75ml, but you only use a pea size amount, v good, i used to make toothpaste, and there is a load of sugar, dye, and mint extract, in these products,
the mint extract would be so strong, if you got it on your skin it felt like it was burning you,

In my opinion regular dental higiene sessions are indispensable.

But I got a severe case of non-permanent tinnitus once (gone now) thanks to the ultrasonic de-scaller and since then she's not allowed to use it.
Manual only for me, thanks.

if you look at people in this country, some people's teeth are shocking, my neighbour is a great bloke but when he talks it looks like he has a mouthful of nub-ends, and he's early forties,

Definitely worthwhile. I always book to see the hygienist when I go to the dentist (every 6 months). Ideally, I’d have an appointment with her every week...
must confess , i have never seen a hygienist advertised ever !!

hi, i use Corsodyl toothpaste, funny colour and not what you could say as being minty, about £3.00 for 75ml, but you only use a pea size amount, v good, i used to make toothpaste, and there is a load of sugar, dye, and mint extract, in these products,
the mint extract would be so strong, if you got it on your skin it felt like it was burning you,

I think there may be a problem about using this all the time, I may be wrong but I'd check if I were you.

advertisement

Back