advertisement

Dental hygienists - are they really worthwhile?

I'm sure some need a hygienist and a lot don't

Having naff gums I go to a Periodontist and hygienist every 6 months
Wish I had discovered them many years ago to have avoided the pain ad the lost teeth

My practice where I have been going for 45 years had a hygienist back in the 80's , these days the dentists there double up and have done for some number of years .

Yes to hygienist every 6 months / dental sticks (not brushes) every night before brushing.
I’m 68 next month.

My first hygienist was 20 years ago when I still lived in Italy. She was an utterly gorgeous blonde bombshell with red lipstick and a wonderful manner; I have no idea what she charged or how long it took as I was in a semi-divine trance state throughout the session...

In the US all dentists have a hygienist who does all of the cleaning & polishing. The dentist pops in for a quick look and makes a separate appointment to do any work - seems like a good use of the dentist's time, since they have a lot more schooling than the hygienist.

On the subject of interdental brushes I like these a lot:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AWO3CWQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Much more effective than floss alone. Also recently switched from braun/oralB to Philips sonicare, and I prefer the sonicare - more gentle but seems cleaner.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes to hygienist every 6 months / dental sticks (not brushes) every night before brushing.
I’m 68 next month.

My first hygienist was 20 years ago when I still lived in Italy. She was an utterly gorgeous blonde bombshell with red lipstick and a wonderful manner; I have no idea what she charged or how long it took as I was in a semi-divine trance state throughout the session...

I had a similar experience with a hairdresser. Could have been awkward were it not for the tent like sheet she fastened around my neck.

I had my first visit to an American dentist recently. First the assistant took eighteen xrays, then the dentist came and had a bit of a poke around before sending me through to the hygenist.

The bill to the insurance company was just north of $500!

I just had my 4-monthly hygienist appointment today. I'm prone to gingivitis, and going to the hygienist periodically and flossing every night has made a huge difference to my gum health. I fully intend to keep all my natural teeth.

I’m 68 next month.

Hygienist with a happy ending? eeeeww

100% Hygienists do a far more thorough descale than most dentists, normally with hand instruments and not the dreaded Cavitron. In my experience most are female, very pretty, therefore what a lovely way to spend 30 mins flat on your back, with a lovely lady gently pressing one of her boobs in your ear.

My dentist said this.

1. a hygienist can whiten your teeth. This has no health consequences, but it looks good.
2. Even if you clean your teeth well, there will still be a build up of deposits which, like limescale, harden. Home cleaning won’t get rid of these. And apparently leaving them can indeed have an adverse effect.

she thought that If I wanted to get my teeth whitened, I should go every four months. Otherwise once a year.

You were badly informed then.
The hygienist gets rid of the hardened deposits and probably saves your teeth from falling out and prevent gum disease.

you’ve never been to one have you?
If you had you’d have known all this.

I visit the hygienist once or twice a year. My teeth are prone to a bit of staining, I guess from all the tea and red wine I drink, and the hygienist removes all that for me along with all the rest. She also helped encourage me to be more consistent with my flossing and rinsing, which means that my teeth and gums are in better shape generally.

I have a feeling that I pay more than the £20-odd others have mentioned, more like £40 iirc, but whatever, it's worth it.

100% Hygienists do a far more thorough descale than most dentists, normally with hand instruments and not the dreaded Cavitron. In my experience most are female, very pretty, therefore what a lovely way to spend 30 mins flat on your back, with a lovely lady gently pressing one of her boobs in your ear.

I don't mind the Cavitron, mine uses both ultrasonic and hand tools.

The info. in this thread is a bit of an education for me, as I wasn't aware there were any hygienists in the practice I've been frequenting for 18+ years as this has never been mentioned by my dentist. 40 years ago I had a couple of appointments in another practice in another county but that practice went private about this time anyway.

Guess my teeth, or at least many of those remaining, are really past it, so I'm facing either implants or a full top denture as there's a limit to my present chrome cobalt ones which I think has been reached. If implants, (I've been told) then a mandatory bi-annual hygienist visit is in order. If I were younger, implants would be my choice, but as the hassle factor is pretty bad for both options, I may eschew the implant option, though the cost is not a factor.

As my dentist is currently on part-time and on the way to retirement, I'll be changing to a (very) local one, which may offer options.

Guess my teeth, or at least many of those remaining, are really past it, so I'm facing either implants or a full top denture as there's a limit to my present chrome cobalt ones which I think has been reached. If implants, (I've been told) then a mandatory bi-annual hygienist visit is in order. If I were younger, implants would be my choice, but as the hassle factor is pretty bad for both options, I may eschew the implant option, though the cost is not a factor.
Check thoroughly you can sensibly have implants. I can't as the bone loss is too much

It's worthwhile because it keeps sadists busy during working hours...
I had one when I was a student and that’s exactly what I described her as. I started to get that Kathy Bates feeling when she asked if I drank red wine and if ‘my mother knew what I got up to away from home’.

The chemistry going on in your mouth might almost affect your need for a hygienist. Mrs Mick visits the same dentist as I do, having spent six months eating and drinking the same stuff (including plenty of black coffee, red wine - plus she has a sweet tooth and loves her Scottish tablet). We both use the same toothpaste and each have a decent Oral-B electric toothbrush. The dentist always tells her not to bother with the hygienist “you don’t need it so why waste £30” he says. When I go I can feels the difference after a session with that watery needle thingy so it must be fetching plenty off. Seems to me if the advice is that you should do it, you’re probably avoiding some expensive work in the future.

Check thoroughly you can sensibly have implants.

Dentist says yes, but of course they can't/won't do it if the bone isn't strong enough. My sister had two examinations; one said "no way, Jose" and the other said " okay, but I'd have to build your bone material up first". She demurred !

You were badly informed then.
The hygienist gets rid of the hardened deposits and probably saves your teeth from falling out and prevent gum disease.

you’ve never been to one have you?
If you had you’d have known all this.
You talking to me?

advertisement

Back