advertisement

Dental hygienists - are they really worthwhile?

On balance I’ll give it another try... the receding gums is a worry, I don’t want to end up looking like Red Rum.

Yes. £20 a year is FA.

It’s £20 an appointment deposit, as mentioned. The appointment is at least twice as much and may be more often than once a year. Still not a huge amount but it’s more the advance charge I don’t particularly like, I don’t think I have this with any other service.

Dental hygienists? Put ‘em on the Golgafrincham Ark with the telephone sanitizers...

Not really, I second the various endorsements above.

P.s. as well as Teepees that I use vigorously around my implant site, I spent £40 on a Water flosser which I use after a meal (when at home). Used to it now but was initially amazed at the debris it blows from between teeth that brushing doesn’t shift.

just been, well last week, £22.70 for a checkup and a clean plus polish, i go every six months, this is an NHS dentist so i think i pay about half of what it cost's if you went private,

One of my sons in law took his own tooth out with a pair of pliers.

I did that with my baby teeth, a couple of times at least, I used to 'twirl' them then pull them out, I thought everyone did that:D

BTW, I've an appointment with the dental hygienist next week, £62 but well worth it, the guy is brilliant.

Bit late to this, but if you have any past dental work, especially crowns and the like or loads of fillings, and you are over 40 ish then regular hygienist visits and flosssing/interdental brushes are good value for money as it could save you plenty of grief later on.

I’ve done research on oral biology/tooth decay and know how to brush/floss but wouldn’t miss a hygienist visit as I try to put off needing major dental reparations as Image.

Bit late to this, but if you have any past dental work, especially crowns and the like or loads of fillings, and you are over 40 ish then regular hygienist visits and flosssing/interdental brushes are good value for money as it could save you plenty of grief later on.

I’ve done research on oral biology/tooth decay and know how to brush/floss but wouldn’t miss a hygienist visit as I try to put off needing major dental reparations as Image.

Wouldn’t be without my TeePees, used to be a blue but I’m on yellow now. They are about the most expensive of their kind but do by far the best job.

Wouldn’t be without my TeePees, used to be a blue but I’m on yellow now. They are about the most expensive of their kind but do by far the best job.

I use three (yellow/blue/orange) every night, plus floss as required and an electric brush. Trust me, I’m not obsessive, but I am one misplaced crunch away from a five-figure bill and a year of aggravation for implants. That rather helps to concentrate the mind!

There’s a new breed of dental technicians coming through that can also do simple fillings and extractions - I suppose equivalent to nurse prescribers in medicine.

advertisement

Back