advertisement

Dental hygienists - are they really worthwhile?

Bart

pfm Member
My dentist keeps advising me to see the hygienist at the practice - as you would expect. I went once and she didn’t seem to do much for the money plus they require a permanent advance/deposit on the next visit so they always have £20 of your money. My teeth are pretty good according to the dentist and I rarely need anything doing, though my gums are receding a bit. Any thoughts on whether hygienists are really necessary?

I'm going in an hour:(
If you are young, use an electric toothbrush and floss every so often, I'd ask your dentist to do you a de-plaque whenever you have a routine visit, and that should keep you healthy gum wise.
As you get older, the gums need more and more regular attention. Maybe even twice a year once retired to be sure you're as healthy as possible. Gums are a good indication of health problems elsewhere to boot, so keeping an eye makes sense, + hygienists can make you all white and sparkly again.
If you are pushed for cash, the dentist will be the cheaper option. If just a grumpy old git who likes bad breath and yellow teeth, I'd not bother. :)

Simple. Yes.

Gums are now known to be a repository of all sorts of potentially bad infections that might break forth. Even using the best home cleaning you will not keep them as clean as a hygienist will. Dentists will recommend frequency of hygienist treatment based on how your teeth are - inherently and how well you do look after them.

... she didn’t seem to do much for the money

Our hygienist spends about 20 minutes per appointment, descaling and polishing.
Seems worth it to me although we have a dental plan so we pay a monthly fee for that and dentist when needed.
I've no idea what is the going rate for a single appointment.

Definitely worthwhile. I always book to see the hygienist when I go to the dentist (every 6 months). Ideally, I’d have an appointment with her every week...

I see the hygienist every three months (at £30 for around 30 mins work) in an effort to hang on to my ludicrously expensive implant. Seems to be going OK as my six monthly dentist check ups rarely go over 10 minutes.

I thought they were a waste of money but now think they are better for my teeth/gum health. The dentist does nothing but check my teeth now. The hygienist spends at least 20 minutes de plaquing my gum line and gaps between teeth that my interdental tooth brush misses. I reckon with her help I’m stopping receding gum line becoming a problem.

My Dentist made me buy some flossing brushes but I can't bear sticking them between my teeth...and it's a chore.
Should maybe see the Hygienist instead.

Last edited:
My Dentist made me buy some flossing brushes but I can bear sticking them between my teeth...and it's a chore.
Should maybe see the Hygienist instead.
Well yes, if you want to go every day. I too was told to buy some interdental brushes, I ignored him the first couple of times, then I got toothache. Went in thinking I needed a filling, no, my gums are a bit soft and receding. So I paid his £22 bill, took his advice in a radical break with tradition and spent another couple of quid on the interdental jobbies. I raked a bottle of Corsodyl out of the bathroom cabinet and actually started using it every day. Bloody hell, this stuff works, who knew? Only a week or two and I have working teeth, no pain, and I'm raking crud out from between my teeth pretty well every night without the anticipated pain and swearing.

Now stop being a lazy arse and get on with it, it's 5 minutes a night. You can thank me later when your teeth no longer hurt.

Just back from the dentist, who did a hygiene jobby on me. Well worth it as you get older.

Another yes here. I once went 16 years with no visit to any form of dentist or hygenist - not something I am proud of but was always fearful of someone poking around in my mouth with sharp objects and especially drills eugh!

I still don't like it but a lovely and gorgeous dentist helped me on the righteous path and I have been a regular every 6 months for the past 20 years and still see the same lovely and gorgeous dentist and a variety of hygenists as a double appointment.

I don't get on with the interdentals but I do floss with tape every couple of days. I have reversed some minor pocketing of the gums and my teeth are much stronger. But to be fair I have never had any major issues, in fact the only treatment in 20 years was one replacement filling.

...though my gums are receding a bit.

You've answered your own question; gums receding, that's exactly why you need to see a hygienist. I see my hygienist three times a year, plus an annual visit to the dentist; all things being equal he just does a check up too make sure that everything is good.

Last edited:
You've answered your own question; gums receding, that's exactly why you need to se a hygienist. I see my hygienist three times a year, plus an annual visit to the dentist; all things being equal he just does a check up too make sure that everything is good.
Spot on. At 72, I have this very problem, and, as the dentist pointed out to me, if you have periodontal problems, there are bits that you simply can't adequately clean yourself. I initially had three visits a year to get everything on an even keel, and now it's twice a year, with the dentist only popping in to do a quick check.

Yes. Every 3 months. More important than the dentist, as good hygiene is proactive to having less treatment long term. Enough posts on this thread to confirm that. Worth every penny to keep teeth n gums in best condition and avoid halitosis, gingivitis etc.

It's also never too late to develop good behaviours (Shane McGowan is excused)

Buy Teepees, flossing tape (better than cord) and a good leccy toothbrush. It's cheaper in the long run.

Definitely worthwhile. I always book to see the hygienist when I go to the dentist (every 6 months). Ideally, I’d have an appointment with her every week...

You must use the same dental practice as me. You have to book 6 months ahead for an appt.

advertisement

Back