advertisement

Densen pre amp with Linn power amp????

kash

pfm Member
Dear all,

Has anyone tried using a Densen pre amp with Linn poweramps? I'm shopping around in the secondhand market at the moment for a pre amp to go with my Linn LK85 power amp and Linn Keilidh speakers, Audiolab 8000 CD transport and Audiolab 8000 DAC.The usual thing would be to buy a Linn Wakonda or Kairn pre amp to go with the equipment I already have, but I'd like to know if there is a better alternative to this, as the Densen pre amps get some amazing reviews. Or, if not Densen, any other pre amp brand that might go with the LK85, Or should I just stick with getting a decent Linn pre amp. I'm looking for something that is about 5 or 6 years old, or possibly older.

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Kash

Linn power amps don't ask for anything special, I'm sure it would work a treat. Buy something you like the sound of and plug it in.

BTW I've not heard a Wakonda but they aren't much liked. The Kairn certainly is though.

The LK 85 and Keilidhs should be a good match, Keilidhs are an easy load and the Linn amp is a contemporary and the right price in the range so the dealers would demand that it worked.

I've seen (but not heard) B200 and B300 mixed in with other brand power amps and the respective owners have been happy with the combo. I got the impression the B300 was supposed to be quite a big step up - but no first-hand experience.

I've seen (but not heard) B200 and B300 mixed in with other brand power amps and the respective owners have been happy with the combo. I got the impression the B300 was supposed to be quite a big step up - but no first-hand experience.

B300 is a power amp.

Isn't the B300 a power amp? Think the 200-series are pre's (220/240 perhaps?)

I used to have a B100 integrated - not the best I've heard for low end grip, but generally very well voiced. The secondhand prices seem pretty stable, so try it. If you don't like it, you can always pass it on...

Given your other gear, the obvious choice is an Audiolab 8000Q.

Mine replaced a Densen DM20, just as musical and better in every other way.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. RustyB, what was your system when you were using the DM20. The DM20 is the one I was thinking about buying, was there a big difference when you changed to the 8000Q?

I had been using the DM20/DM30 combo for a few years.

I snapped up an 8000Q (UK built, of course) at a good price.

I found the Audiolab sounded a tad more neutral than the Densen, but most importantly the system lost nothing in terms of musicality, and the 8000Q is by comparison more versatile, better built, has remote control, and the very useful switchable gain facility. And cost less.

The DM30 is a wonderful piece of kit, but the DM20 gives me the impression that it was put together in a hurry. It doesn't justify the amount of real estate it consumes, or the asking price (same as the DM30!). The inability to fit an MC card was also odd, and annoying.

IMO Densen's preamps don't live up to the quality of the power amps. Even the B250 has had reliability issues, not to mention those annoying clickity-clack relays.

RustyB, if I was going to buy the Audiolab, when did they stop making the 8000Q in England, for instance do I need one that is at least 5 years old? I'm assuming that the chinese made Audiolab gear is not up to much. I'm liking the idea of the 8000Q particularly with the gain option.

Hi,

I have had both the Linn Kairn and the Wakonda, both with the phono inputs.

The Wakonda with the LK85 was as good as the Kairn and in some types of music better.

The Kairn is a very good pre amp and should not be over looked neither should the Wakonda. Both can be got at very good prices.

Having heard the system with a Linn Karik and Linn Majik DS with the Kairn / Wakonda and LK85 I can tell you it was excellent.

Cheers

John

Hi,

The Wakonda with the LK85 was as good as the Kairn and in some types of music better.

The Kairn is a very good pre amp and should not be over looked neither should the Wakonda. Both can be got at very good prices.

Having heard the system with a Linn Karik and Linn Majik DS with the Kairn / Wakonda and LK85 I can tell you it was excellent.

Cheers

John AGREE ENTIRELY.

RustyB, if I was going to buy the Audiolab, when did they stop making the 8000Q in England, for instance do I need one that is at least 5 years old? I'm assuming that the chinese made Audiolab gear is not up to much. I'm liking the idea of the 8000Q particularly with the gain option.

Older than that, you're looking at mid-late 90's, before Audiolab became TAG.

Haven't heard a Sinolab Q, but I've heard enough scuttlebutt regarding inferior sound and reliability issues to dissuade me. There's an ample supply of Cambridge-built Q's out there, especially if you are in the UK.

Hi,

Cheers

John AGREE ENTIRELY.

So to do I!

I have a full klimax keltik setup as well as two other setups based around a wakonda and a kairn, both still sound great to me, I have had the wakonda a good few years and it's not going anywhere :)

advertisement

Back