advertisement

Denafrips dacs

Agreed, I'll need to give it time and become more accustomed to the filters and OS/NOS. The above is just a first impression...

Heard yesterday that the Terminator will be replaced with a new MK2 version. Terminator II (I love this name btw :cool: right up there with some of the best product names such as Honda's NSX and Pioneer's Kuro) will much of the technology used in their reference Terminator Plus) :)

I'll be back :D

So much for Denafrips saying that the Termi would be their reference DAC for 10 years .:(

The main innovation looks like the "trickle down" from the Terminator Plus of clock outputs that can be connected to the clock inputs of their digital converters.

Well, for me at least anyways, I sadly just cannot hear purported improvements of the Ares II over DS DACs. Sometimes I think perhaps the NOS mode has ever so slightly more body, but really I can't be sure and I'd doubtless fail a blind listening. I know some will say the 250/500 hour break-in etc, so I'll leave it connected and give it a spin again before I make plans as to what do with it.

Glad I scratched the itch in any case. As ever with these things, YMMV.

This might have been covered before, but has anyone any insight into the quality of the caps in a Pontus? Since there are rather a lot of them, I hate to imagine the hassle of a future recap if it ends up being a dog like the MDAC that way….

I was looking at these myself, and fear they could be just another 'phase' that hifi goes through with the new big product from the East.

However, you can buy direct from Denfrips, with UK VAT, shipping inc etc

For example,

Venus II, $4598 Sig Dollar = £2458 GBP (at time of writing) INC all duties etc

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-venus-r2r-dac

WillowTree Audio - £3000

https://www.willowtreeaudio.co.uk/denafrips-venus

Warranty is the same, so other than say having to ship it back to Singapore if theres an issue, , where does the additional go in buying from the UK?

This might have been covered before, but has anyone any insight into the quality of the caps in a Pontus? Since there are rather a lot of them, I hate to imagine the hassle of a future recap if it ends up being a dog like the MDAC that way….
I wouldn’t worry that much about it as they will probably have no need for a recap for the next 20 years.
I must admit though I would prefer by far having to do a recap on a Naim NAP 160 than any DAC with a bank of capacitors without any space in between ! :eek:

I haven't looked inside my own, but the ones I've seen pictures of on other boards used all recognizable name-brand caps, either Nichicon, ELNA, or Rubycon, and WIMA film caps.

Anyone in the Bucks area with a Venus 2 they would willing to demo. Tried Willow tree and Musicraft, neither responded, which is not encouraging. Do Vinshine have a returns policy?

Thanks JTC. How would you describe the sound of the Venus? Does it work well with Rock music for example. I would like a bit of smoothness but with snap and speed that rock needs to drive it as well as a nice open soundstage

Thanks JTC. How would you describe the sound of the Venus? Does it work well with Rock music for example. I would like a bit of smoothness but with snap and speed that rock needs to drive it as well as a nice open soundstage
This is particularly good with the Pontus II that I have, and the Venus is a better DAC, so I would say yes.

advertisement

Back