advertisement

Denafrips dacs

Interesting. Maybe due to the new Caps? Some reviewers/owners have preferred the original Terminator I vaguely recall reading, which I found wierd, the comment made me wonder if they were fully sane, why would Denafrips release the plus if it was technically inferior.
Do you remember what those people had described that they preferred regarding the original Terminator?

The + is a lot more expensive. It's a different model. I'm not sure if they should have used a different name to Terminator.

Do you remember what those people had described that they preferred regarding the original Terminator?
I can't recall now, it may have been Steve Gutenberg as he bought the first Terminator model, but I'm guessing it may have been a throw away comment.

While I was trying to remember with Google's help I came accross an ASR thread:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/terminator-vs-terminator-plus.15396/

The last post on page 2 was quite a bombshell... the highlighted quote from John Atkinson of Stereophile.

I can't recall now, it may have been Steve Gutenberg as he bought the first Terminator model, but I'm guessing it may have been a throw away comment.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/terminator-vs-terminator-plus.15396/

The last post on page 2 was quite a bombshell... the highlighted quote from John Atkinson of Stereophile.

If you believe in the value of over engineered power supplies then you will appreciate the difference between the two models. A lot of work and gone into the Terminator power supply.

Thank you for directing me to that article from Stereophile. Based on the subjective impression that was described within the second page of that article, the Ares II appears to provide a very good value in comparison to the Terminator.

Thank you for directing me to that article from Stereophile. Based on the subjective impression that was described within the second page of that article, the Ares II appears to provide a very good value in comparison to the Terminator.
That’s often the situation in the hi-fi jungle where you have to pay 5 times the price to get 5% improvement........

If you believe in the value of over engineered power supplies then you will appreciate the difference between the two models. A lot of work and gone into the Terminator power supply.
Yes, the psu is an uncompromised design as is its screening from the DAC board above. But I would have expected the temperature controlled SOA clock to have made a significant (discernable) SQ improvement too.

That’s often the situation in the hi-fi jungle where you have to pay 5 times the price to get 5% improvement........
Agreed... But that elusive 5% can be the difference between being emotionally moved or uplifted by a track or maybe not. Getting that emotional connection is priceless and worth being alive for.

Assuming the rest of the system is capable of revealing that 5%.

Yes, the psu is an uncompromised design as is its screening from the DAC board above. But I would have expected the temperature controlled SOA clock to have made a significant (discernable) SQ improvement too.

I'm not a believer in judging sound quality by measurements. We all know you can buy a great dac for a £1,000, but a £4k one will give you that extra quality, which we agree might only actually be a small % in improvement.

Agreed... But that elusive 5% can be the difference between being emotionally moved or uplifted by a track or maybe not. Getting that emotional connection is priceless and worth being alive for.

Assuming the rest of the system is capable of revealing that 5%.
Ooooof, glad to see I’m not the only one ! :D

You have to hear the impact of these ‘awful’ measurements for it to really matter. In most cases the anomalies are so small that you can’t hear them. Getting bothered about such minor differences can create real neurosis. Just believe your ears. That’s enough.

I would appreciate you updating this thread on whether you can get a demo... Preferably a home demo. I'm interested in the Venus, but I need to hear what it can do in my system. Cheers!
Had a reply saying it may well be possible, but not sure when yet, so will keep updated when I know more.
Mac

I see musicraft are now selling Denafrips maybe they will start loaning a unit or two. I personally wouldn’t spend that amount of money without hearing first. Lack of ce marking is not great.
Thank you for sharing that information, regarding Musicraft now carrying Denafrips' products. I hope that Musicraft's website will be completed before too much time.

advertisement

Back