advertisement

Denafrips Ares II thoughts

You could say the same about many well-regarded brands though… Linn, for example, has 100k+. Naim similar. McIntosh 90k+. And, lest you think I’m picking the big boys, Mytek has 3.5k, Schiit 19k, even the mighty dCS has 13.5k+….

Dont know from where you are getting those numbers for dCS.
Anything with “dcs” in it gets a hit - phones, dlink webcams etc. Takes no account of expired ads so 2, 3, 4, more hits for the same relisted advert. Also includes WTD Ads. Takes the number of legit sold Rossini DACs down by about 99.9%.

You could say the same about many well-regarded brands though… Linn, for example, has 100k+. Naim similar. McIntosh 90k+. And, lest you think I’m picking the big boys, Mytek has 3.5k, Schiit 19k, even the mighty dCS has 13.5k+….

100K Linn Dacs for sale? 90K+ Mcintosh Dacs for sale? I can't get numbers like that when searching.

However, it's just my way of researching when buying blind, yours maybe different. You don't have to use my methodology, its your call to buy one or not!

I'm leaning towards steering clear of the cheaper end ones of these after a few conversations I've had today, but definitely still in the market for an R2R. The used prices of these may drop dramatically once the hype has fizzled out, so I may still give one a shot at that point.

I bought a Pontus based on reviews and am very pleased with it and so perhaps it isn't just hype given that you haven't heard one. Also when researching it there were a number of users who had purchased the Ares and were so taken with the sound that they sold it on to move further up the Denafrips 'Ladder'.

I bought a Pontus based on reviews and am very pleased with it and so perhaps it isn't just hype given that you haven't heard one. Also when researching it there were a number of users who had purchased the Ares and were so taken with the sound that they sold it on to move further up the Denafrips 'Ladder'.

That's actually some of my reasoning, I don't want to be on a ladder, where one unit lacks so you have to get the next one etc. For me, i think it's better buying a used higher end dac where you're much further up the hifi ladder than a new lower end one where I then need to spend much more to move up.

I am sure every one is happy with their purchases though and I will definitely look forward to hearing a Pontus at some point.

From the recent two part review by Golden Sound, the Holo Audio May DAC has taken the build and SQ level beyond Denefrips'. I've been much intrigued by Denefrips, but now this May has moved the game along quite a bit I think if YouTube reviews are anything to go by.

It appears that Holo Audio May have solved the input jitter and noise issues as the data shown by GoldenSound demonstrates, there is no need for re-clockers anymore:

It appears that Holo Audio May have solved the input jitter and noise issues as the data shown by GoldenSound demonstrates, there is no need for re-clockers anymore:

Well, I own the May and a Denafrips reclocker. I agree with the gist above, but the sound is still ever so slightly clearer with the reclocker (i2s over HDMi). Annoying…

Last edited:
In what way?
It's a while since I watched it now. He heard no difference with the Hermes between USB sources and the May, I did. Maybe not enough difference to justify a DDC purchase or expensive audiophile server or USB cable, and certainly less difference than with some other DACs. But no difference at all? Hmmm.

Also. How do the middle rank Denafrips DACs - P2, V2 - compare to things like the Schiit Yggdrasil or the Auraluc Vega G2?

Quick update. On Friday afternoon 04/06/21 I unboxed and used the GAIA with the Ares II DAC and I kid you not when I say the difference the GAIA made was OMG. WOW. Spoke to a client to whom we sold an Esoteric D-02DX DAC (RRP £17500) about the GAIA DDC on Saturday. Sunday our client popped into the store and bought the our demo/display GAIA. Monday afternoon client rang me to say "the GAIA is simply wonderful"

Based on my brief experience with the GAIA DDC I would say that if you're using a DAC and think the DAC is being fed with a clean signal from their laptops, CDP's, etc. then think again and try a DDC such as the jitter busting GAIA DDC.

Anyway, we've recently received the IRIS DDC and we're due to receive another GAIA DDC next week. Can't wait to pair the IRIS DDC and the GAIA DDC with the Ares II DAC, Pontus II DAC, Terminator II DAC, PrimaLuna Evo 100 DAC, dCS Bartok and EMM Labs/Meitner Audio MA3 :)

https://www.denafrips.com/iris

https://www.denafrips.com/gaia

GAIA DDC round two :)

New GAIA DDC delivered yesterday. Unboxed and fired up earlier on today. This time around the GAIA DDC is feeding the new Terminator II DAC. And wait for it WTF, OMG and WOW :cool:

Briefly performance with the GAIA becomes super clean from top to bottom, more transparent, greater dynamics, faster and my best of all low frequencies rather than just sit there with their depth and weight now also gain far greater punch and slam out with vigour :cool: :cool: I love it. The GAIA DDC has been more than a pleasant surprise and makes my top ten list of products I have seen and heard over the last thirty five years and imo is worth every penny of it's current RRP of £1900.

I think the GAIA DDC should be seriously considered a pre requisite for good quality DAC's :)

Right the next DAC's in line next in line for the GAIA DDC to show them who the boss is are the Pontus II DAC, PrimaLuna Evo 100 DAC, dCS Bartok and EMM Labs/Meitner Audio MA3 :)

I'll be back ;)

GAIA DDC round two :)

New GAIA DDC delivered yesterday. Unboxed and fired up earlier on today. This time around the GAIA DDC is feeding the new Terminator II DAC. And wait for it WTF, OMG and WOW :cool:

You're not exactly going to say 'WTF, OMG, IT's SHITE' are you :)

advertisement

Back